• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

what should I expect to pay??

Albin's "power cruisers"
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Houston, Texas

what should I expect to pay??

Post by tranmkp »

Hello Albin brothers & sisters. Ive come over from the sailboat world to give this a try - FYI - sailboats are expensive to maintain.

I am looking at some used 84 - 87 27's. Some with the cuddy and some not.

I can see on boats sold in Yachtworld that the range is anywhere from 17k to 29k.

What should I expect to pay for one - a beater for example, that is just a basic straignt boat with high hours, minimal electronics. Canvas is tired, needs a bottom... and so on.

Does it make any difference in price in cuddy and no cuddy? Iszuzu, Westerbeke, Nissan?

thanks to all

M
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

As a former A-27 owner (1990 Express with the Isuzu 157 engine) I offer the following comments.
I think about 90% of the A-27s that were built were the aft cabin version. Since there are comparatively fewer of the express versions around, all other things being equal, you can expect to pay a little more for the express version.
The choice between the two versions depends entirely upon what you plan to use the boat for. The aft cabin version has the advantage of two separate sleeping areas...very rare in a boat of that size. The cockpit is much smaller however and much less suitable for fishing (or cocktail parties).
The Isuzu 157 (and possibly several other larger engine options) turn the A-27 into a semi-planing boat with a top speed in the 15 MPH range. The smaller engines limit the boat to the displacement hull speed around 9 MPH.
As to price, with boats of that vintage it depends entirely upon condition, particularly of the engine and transmission which are very expensive to repair or replace. If the hull has been damaged and not properly repaired that also will pull the price away down. I would think an older A-27 in very poor condition with a questionable but operating power train might go in the $15k range whereas the very best ones would go for over $40K.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave »

I had purchased my Albin 27 last summer. It has the Isuzu 157 motor and is the soft top version. We haven't spent any nights on it and probably won't spend many so cabin space wasn't an issue at the time of purchase. The thing I really liked about the boat was the large deck space for a boat of that size and when you are at the helm it is quite a bit higher than a lot of boats of similar size. We paid 37k Canadian for a boat that was mechanically sound with fairly new electronics and windlass and a hull in very good condition. We love it! Good luck in your search.
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

I believe John's and Dave's responses are spot on. Our 1987 A 27 Aft Cabin has a solid hull, deck and top with a complete canvas enclosure that is in excellent condition. It has new bottom paint (2007), two new HVAC units and a new Garmin 3210c system, including radar. Plus, the Yanmar has just over 500 hours and the cushions are in great shape. Its value is $40,000+.

They are great boats. I, too, came from years of sailing and still have an S2 7.9.

I tend toward single handing, the wife doesn't at all care for sailing and doesn't always want to use the Albin when I do. The A27 is a very good single handed boat.

Good luck in your search! In our area Albins are rare, if you're close enough I'd be glad to show you our boat. It's a good example.

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tranmkp »

thanks for all the wisdom - the one Im looking at is a 86 with a Westebeke W 70. Boat is scruffy but not bad. Not much of anything as to equipment - just a DS and VHF. I will test drive it this weekend - Right now we are at 18k...

owner has no idea as to how may hours the engine has...
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

$18k sounds like a decent price provided the engine is in good order and there is not any water intrusion in the balsa core.

I would recommend a full survey including moisture tests.

I was lucky enough to find a nice 84 AC two towns from home port. I may have paid a little on the high side @ $30k, but she was gone through fully by the previous owner who was very particular and ready to sail from her mooring.

These boats are fantastic for a small family or a couple wanting to do some modest coastal cruising.

My better half, (2) little ones and a chocolate lab are very comfortable for weekend trips and have even stayed for the better part of a week without hitting land (except an island for the occasional dog duty).

It may be a little tight, but very economical, easy to maintain and as seaworthy as they come.

Good luck with you search. The Albin Cruisers Group site on Yahoo sometimes has 25s and 27s for sale by members who live and breath Albins.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate

excellent advice - thank you

Post by tranmkp »

aside from the size, how do the 25's compare in performance? I realize they may be slower or may roll more (I would think ALL these boats tend to roll no?) There seems to be a few more 25's areound that are cream puffs...

About the water intrusion in the core - your talking below the waterline correct - what spots tend to be saturated? Not cheap to fix for sure.
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

The 27s are known for water intrusion at the port hole locations both forward and aft as well as possibly the rubrail/deck flange connection.

A good surveyor will do a thorough job and find any problems.

I have not sailed a 25, but the 27 does have a little roll.

The 25s run as small as a 19hp diesel, I believe the 27s run as small as 61hp (which is what I have). If you are looking to get anywhere within a set timeframe, these boats are probably not for you.

When we were checking out our boat prior to purchase last year, I made sure the kids came aboard and made them promise to never ask the Albin forbidden question " when are we going to get there?". So far, they have kept there promise with a little help from the DVD and IPOD.

Hope this helps.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
DELETED

very nice

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”