• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Treatment?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

Tooooo many variables to discuss in writing. but my major comment is that the fuel dealer needs to manage his tanks, just as you all have commented about your own tanks. if you think that the dealer would put a additive in the tank because they suspect a fungus, than why would the boat owner do it.If you think that the dealer turns his tank(Sells alot) than why put a stabliser in your tank. If you think the dealer checks for water prior to delivery, than why add some other additive. One major caveat is Don't fill up your tank immediately after your dealer received his fuel.
What do I do? my boat sits in the water 363 days a year, in Dec I add a winter product to an almost filled tank, to enhance the cetane so that in April I can get started and go fishing. Do I really need that additive to start the new year, probably not . I used no additive the rest of the year, because I have confidence in the dealers.
The future years will be interesting w/ the Biodiesel being introduce along w/ the lower sulphurs. I read where the Gov of Mass. is mandating the use of Biofuels.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

So, I guess this comes down to where you purchase your fuel. For example, I purchase mine from Baltimore Yacht Club. I could find it cheaper but I'm assuming there is a greater turn over there. I figure if the guys that fill those huge boats aren't complaining, my little 100 gallon purchase will be fine.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Filters

Post by RicM »

I changed my Racor fuel filter in the fall and now I don't have a spare on board and I can't remember what size goes on the 28TE with a Yanmar 315. Does anyone know off hand?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Butch wrote:Tooooo many variables to discuss in writing. but my major comment is that the fuel dealer needs to manage his tanks, just as you all have commented about your own tanks. I read where the Gov of Mass. is mandating the use of Biofuels.
I couldn't agree more. Some fuel dock attendants are unsure what is in their tanks. As of October '07 in Mass. with offroad reduced to 500 ppm sulpher and on road down to 15 ppm I started adding a quart of Power Service per fill for lubricity ($6.50/qt.). Not that important with the 2004 forward diesel engines as they are built for lower sulpher content. Ask questions and manage your tanks for your own comfort level.

Valv-tec aniti-Microbe and Stor'n Start for Diesel at winter lay-up / de-commissioning.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Fuel Polishing

Post by Legacy »

I use my boat too much to really worry, but there's a guy at my marina that has a fuel polishing system. What the heck is that? Looks like he pomps out your fuel and runs it through another set of filters and then pumps it bak in to the boat again.

Thoughts?

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

Fuel polishing system is eactly how you explained it .. it is either on shore or on a very sophisticated yacht . The sole purpose is to keep the diesel w/o particles, water or fungus.It needs to be mentioned that when one has a major contamination, than a polishing sytem is another way of ridding the problem ...you can use all the additives in the world to rid your fuel from a fungus but the carcass remains in suspension and will exit either in your fuel filter or in a polishing system(Filters)
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Hey Ric -

You probably have a racor 900 filter - check for a label on the filter housing to be sure. BTW, I carry 4 or 5 spare racor (primary) elements and a couple of on-engine (secondary) filters. Don't get caught off Block Is without spares!!!

Ed

PS: where's the picture of our Bluefin?? I expected to see it by now!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Filters

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:I changed my Racor fuel filter in the fall and now I don't have a spare on board and I can't remember what size goes on the 28TE with a Yanmar 315. Does anyone know off hand?
Should be a Raycor 500 assembly with a 30 micron filter element installed without the spacer that comes with the kit (the spacer is for the older filter housing assembly). Should keep at least 1 spare element on board...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuel Filter/Blue Fin

Post by RicM »

Ed:
you want bluefin? I'LL GIVE YOU BLUEFIN!
hate to tell you this but there was no spare filter on board for our trip.
Ric
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “Albin Maintenance”