• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Galley Up

patti
Deckhand
Deckhand

Galley Up

Post by patti »

I am new to this forum and am a wannabe owner of an Albin. Do any of you know if the older Albin 40 or 43 come with a galley up. All the ones I have seen online have been galley down. I am located in California and am so disappointed that very of the classic Albins are for sale here. Found one in WA. Will stay patient and keep looking.

Patti
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I looked at several 40s and they were all galley down. The 36s are galley up.
The Defever 41s and MT 38s are galley up.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
patti
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by patti »

Appreciate the info. I haven't totally ruled out a galley down, just isn't my first choice.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I hear you and we were just the opposite...we wanted galley down but looked at several galley up boats.
Either way I do know that when you walk onto the RIGHT boat you will know it. And it may not be what you expect it will be.
Happy hunting. And if I can help answer specifics don't hesitate to ask.
Jay
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
patti
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by patti »

Thanks Jay. I do have a question. In searching out trawlers I have noticed that the DeFever owners put stabilizers on their vessels. I understand that they help the rolling motion, but have been told they don't actually make the vessel any more seaworthy. My question is, I don't hear this comment made with Albins, any reason for this. Could the Defevers have rounder bottoms or what???? Also, Albins are full displacement boats aren't they? I believe Defevers are semi. Am I correct in that thinking?

Patti
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Actually Patti I think the Defever 41 has a rounder chine than the Albin 40 and 36.
And I think the Defever is full displacement and the Albin is semi. I know of a 40 Albin with a 210 Cummins that the owner said would do an honest 13 knots at WOTand cruise at 10....that spells semi displacement to me.

I know the Defevers are lower in the water than the Albin and heavier and IMO a little more stable. I helped a friend run a 41 that was new to him last year from SC to Norfolk...definately a different boat than my Albin.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
patti
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by patti »

Okay I'm confused. The Defevers are lower in the water, heavier and full displacement, but w/ a rounder chine and your thought is they may be more stable in the water? I see so many threads in forums about how DF owners have added paravanes, etc., to stabilize the boat, yet I dont' hear the same for Albins. Are the stabilizers being added for the comfort of the passengers (slow down the rolling) only. Would an Albin or Hershine be less likely to have that rolling issue?

I apologize for all my questions, I could go on for days.

Thanks,
PK (patti)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I think the stabilizers are mostly on the 44 Defevers????
They are to slow the rolling motion. Not sure why Albin owners don't put them on...maybe Albin owners are more likely to stay inshore and Defevers owners more likely to go off shore???
I don't know just guessing.
The Defever I helped deliver had the poles and paravanes...my friend sold them...never used them. (Neither did the owner before him we found out).
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
patti
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by patti »

I guess in the end its all up for debate. I looked at a 40' Defever that was set up much like a commercial fisher and the stabilizers ruined the whole look of the boat, at least for me. We are taking a long weekend to go down to SoCal and get on a another Defever and a Californian. Its always fun to discover what other trawlers offer. Thanks for your explanations.

Patti

Return to “36/37/40/43”