• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shower pump?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Shower pump?

Post by jcollins »

I've been following Butch's thread about his shower pump. I didn't want to hijack the thread so I'm starting another topic.

Is everyone's shower pump automatic? If yes, is it a timed cycle or float switch?
Mine is not. I was just wondering.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Tuxedo had a float switch. The shower sump was a Rule Shower Sump System. I did have to replace the float switch once.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

John .... my shower sump is a pretty bizarre the way it is set up. The pump set inside does not have a float built-in or seperate float and it does not automaticaly cycle. The only way to clear the sump is to flip the "SHOWER" switch on my DC panel and then the pump runs continuously until shut off again at the DC panel. More than "Strange Engineering". And as most AC set-ups go the drain for the AC goes to the sump. What were they thinking ? I have thought of replacing it with one with a built-in float ..... someday ....
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

No float switch on the sump? My AC dumps into the shower sump and cycles the pump at least once or twice a night. Someone must have got a hold of Albin between '02 and '03 because mine has the rule sump described. Well $82 will solve the problem.

http://www.rule-industries.com/products ... /index.htm

Mine is almost identical to the one shown above. I couldn't post the link from defender ($82) for some reason. So the link above is from rule's site.
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mine is just like Pitou. I do have a switch in the head.
Kevin - do you have A/C?
I wondering if they only put a float switch in if you had air conditioning?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I do have AC and need to throw the switch every few hours to disharge the AC that drains into the sump. My sump is by Mayfair. The sump looks just like the Rule posted above, but minus the float.

I'm glad they got it together for you Jack. .... I took a look late AM today and there is plenty of room for a float to be added. This thread has prompted me to get this done ASAP. Headed to the chandlary!!!

John thanks for initiating this thread and project!!!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

On our 36', there are dedicated, identical sumps for both the shower and the A/C units. Both have float switches and a bilge pump inside a plastic sealed box with a clear lid.

I leave the shower sump on all the time because sometimes the shower head leaks when the system is pressurized. It will continue to leak after shutting the pump off simply becuase it's still under pressure, so I leave the sump on all the time just to keep it clear. I think I've gotten the shower head fixed, but I still leave the sump on as a force of habit.

The shower sump clogged up on me once and the float switch got stuck in the "off" position, causing the shower drain to back up. I cleaned it out and haven't had a problem since, but I anticipate that some day I will have to do this rather unpleasant job again.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Float switch is on mine, but as most float switches go on one more than 1 occasion it has not worked though. A little tap is all it needs.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “Albin Maintenance”