• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Forward Bilge pumping next to toilet paper on 28

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Forward Bilge pumping next to toilet paper on 28

Post by Butch »

I have water spraying everywhere behind head cupboard.i feel like it is tooo much pressure when the bilge goes on...I have replaced the hose connection to the U fitting ...could this U plastic fitting w/ a small cap be malfunctioning . It has a small opening at the top of the U...What is this thing ??..I have a sense that this system has been leaking since i bought the boat. I would rather have a TICK TICK TICK that J.ohn is experiencing

Butch,
Did you check the clamp on the through-hull? I think the U you are referring to is the anti-siphon.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm not quite understanding what you mean. Is it the bilge pump outlet hose that is spraying? Where exactly is it spraying out of the anti-siphon fitting?
Butch
In Memorium

Post by Butch »

it is spraying at the hose and anti-siphon (Black U upside down). i have cut the hose and re attached w/ clamps twice ( it has two claps), it still sprays. Could it be the wrong type hose(Black w/ wire in it) or could there be a plugging somewhere causing it to back up
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Butch,
Did you check for a clog at the through hull? I get dog hair in there all the time.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Butch
In Memorium

Post by Butch »

Good idea, Back in B Town, will check next weekend.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

First of all why do you have so much water in the bildge? Has it been in there for a while and you just keep recycleing it? Has got to be a blockage between the anti siphon and the through hull. Hook up a garden hose and give it a blast.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

The air vent on the loop, or what you call a U, might be stuck in an open position. This would allow water to spray out. The Air vent allows air to be drawn in when not under pressure and then closes under pressure. I would replace that loop. Also make sure there is no check valves with this system and installed backwards. That would cause a pressure problem and be blowing water.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Butch
In Memorium

Post by Butch »

Man You guys are putting me to work. I will keep you informed. Hay Carl I think I am recycling the Air conditioner..when the AC is on, the pump kicks on ....some water goes outside and some squirts all over the toilet paper. The paper is now kept in the medicine cabinet untl the captain fixes the plumbing
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

vented loops

Post by Pitou »

These loops are prone to failure and are often neglected. When bilge water etc., whatever flows through, deposits are left behind to crystalize preventing the valve on top from closing when water passes by or maybe even worse preventing it from opening when not in use, causing the ant-siphon feature not to work. A common cause of boat sinkings when your bilge, head or whatever fills and fills.

Vented loop maintenance : the nut on top unscrews for cleaning / routine maintenance. Take the cap off and clean of mineral and crud build-up and replace.

These loops will serve you virtually forever if maintained.

[/img]Image
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

It sounds either like this is an outlet hose for the A/C, or your A/C pump system has a leak and it's accumulating in the bilge.

Is it leaking out of the anti-siphon valve on the top, or out of the hose bib? If it's leaking from the bib, which side is it leaking from, inlet or outlet? If you haven't already, pull the hose off the bib and see if either are cracked. Check to see if the outlet hose is backed up and full of water.

This is one of those "disassemble and assess" projects.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Carl »

Butch, once you get the loop issue under control it might be a good idea to connect a drain hose to the pan that sits under your A/C unit and connect it into your shower drain box. There are already spare knock outs in the box. Then you only need to make sure the shower pump is on when you run the A/C. Let us know what you find!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Carl wrote:Butch, once you get the loop issue under control it might be a good idea to connect a drain hose to the pan that sits under your A/C unit and connect it into your shower drain box. There are already spare knock outs in the box. Then you only need to make sure the shower pump is on when you run the A/C. Let us know what you find!
Is your shower pump automatic? Mine is not. I have often thought life would be a little easier if it was.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Butch
In Memorium

Post by Butch »

It is automatic. I have learn so much from this situation. I wish the boat was outside my office so that I can get started on all of the advice. i cain't wait to get my hands on that anti-siphon tube. I will keep you all posted.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Carl »

John, Yes it is. When I turn on the A/C I also flip on the shower pump and it will cycle on about every hour. Butch, aftr reading your post again it sounds like you have other issues with your A/C. Sounds like your raw water line to the A/C has sprung a leak.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Butch
In Memorium

Post by Butch »

ok so I left the office early to tackle the A/C and the Anti-siphon tube.FIXEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. The a/c water hose was un hooked reattached and tightened w/clamp and took the anti-siphon out completely flushed system w/ garden hose, and washed cap at top reasembled and presto ....no leak.....You guys are the best, I owe you all a drink, I cannot believe the knowledge, diagrams, suggestions and concerns. I even cleaned the shower pump area. I might go into the boat plumbing business. Thanks again!PS/ I have come a long way from calling a black upside down U to a anti-siphon tube

Return to “Albin Maintenance”