• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sea Trial report and offer status

Brother Albin

Sea Trial report and offer status

Post by Brother Albin »

Well....you guys were right. I loved it! more importantly, the "Admiral" loved it. She said that she felt comfortable going forward (that's a minor miracle) and felt that the boat felt substantial enough for her to feel safe. That's all big time good!

It was a beautiful day here in CT on Friday. We managed to find some nice boat wakes to plow though which I had to point out was happening to my wife or she wouldn't have known it. The boat just "shook them off" as John said. At one point we passed the very large Plum Island work ferry powereing into the mouth of the river into the and we took the wake straight on. We both braced for the pounding but there was nothing but some roll and chine slap....that was it. In our runabout that would have sent us flying even if we brought it down to idle. Very impressive.

The was about a 2 foot chop on the sound and the boat was very predictable and flat. I sometimes pilot an elderly friend's Nordic Tug and it tends to roll a lot more than the Albin in that kind of sea. The well ventilated helm and open cockpit is great for me. I never had that disorientation that I get in the enclosed helm of the Nordic Tug. I took the helm on the way back and found the boat to handle very predictably. It does inspire confidence quickly.

In terms or power I would say it was adequate. I had the impression that it labored to get up on plane but I don't intend to cruise there anyway. At one point a friend of mine in a Mainship 34 saw me and passed us. We not only caught up to him but passed him. That was fun but it will cost me a beer I'm sure.

It backed down nicely and stopped predicatbly. I am a little nervous about the lack of rudder control at idle speeds in the marina but the bow thruster worked superbly. I just need more "stick time" to get confident in tight spaces.

We were very impressed, in fact so impressed I plan to make an offer today. If I can keep it within our budget limits I'll be buying that burgee soon. Thanks to everyone for all your help leading up to this. I found all of your comments to be right on the money and they gave me a great foundation to put the boat through the kind of sea trial that would let us know if an Albin 28 right for us. I'll keep you posted.

Steve
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Steve,
Happy to hear that everything went well. Good luck on your offer.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Brother Albin

Post by Brother Albin »

The boat that I wanted sold. Back to square one.
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Brother Albin wrote:The boat that I wanted sold. Back to square one.
That's too bad. There will be others on the market. :roll: Good Luck
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Buyer's Market

Post by RicM »

Getting aced on this boat might be a blessing in disguise, this is definately a buyers' market, and there will probably better deals coming down the pipe. Keep trying.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My purchase was finalized late Nov 07. It is surely a buyer's market. I started with the boat I bought in late summer and worked the deal a few months knowing that it was a buyer's market and that I had a quickly approaching winter off season in my favor. Towards the end it was as simple as, sure I'll come up a bit but the deal gets made in April, not November :D Good luck in your searches - it's a roller coaster ride of excitement, joy and everything in between. We knew she'd love it :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Brother,
I've had my share of deals fall through: boats, homes, cars.
There is only ONE way to look at it: There is a better deal waiting out there!
You know something, for me, it's ALWAYS proved to be true.
I don't know exactly where you are located, and how far you're willing to go, but there are PLENTY of really nice Albin 28 TE's out there for sale.

What are you looking for, and at what price? Perhaps we can help.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

There is a 28 in westbrook at harrys by the town dock its a gas job and there was a 97 in brewers north yard that needed some hatch work and has the beast in it. JRG
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jack28 wrote:There is a 28 in westbrook at harrys by the town dock its a gas job and there was a 97 in brewers north yard that needed some hatch work and has the beast in it. JRG
I looked at the 28 at Harry's with the Mercruiser. It's an absolutely immaculate boat. It has the molded in transom seat (not sure of the proper Albin term) which I did not like as it would be a fishing and diving obstacle. It's also a wet seat when on the run so it really changes the boat to a more picnic-friendly boat. It sure was the cleanest 28 I did see and I looked at many. I did not sea trial it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Brother Albin

Post by Brother Albin »

Thanks Jack and Rob. I looked at both of those boats. We really have our heart set on finding a Newport Edition. That my take longer than I'm willing to wait.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”