• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Removal of second battery (HELP!)

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Removal of second battery (HELP!)

Post by Cape Codder »

OK, let's try this one:

I have 2 4D batteries in my 2003 28 TE.
They are in both in Todd battery boxes. The removal of the first battery is a piece of cake.
Remove cover, remove cables, lift battery straight up, un-screw 4 SS screws holding down box. Simple.

The second battery is to PORT under the floor. Removing the Todd cover is not bad, remove cables--------then-----YOU CANNOT LIFT OUT BATTERY, AND THE BOX IS SCREWED DOWN UNDER THE BATTERY!!!!
So, there is very little room over the battery (glued insulation and fire-proof tape) yet you cannot move the box into the open area or move it back into more access in the bilge area, becasue the battery is in the box and covering the screws. (Albin design goof?)
These batteries are original (obviously) and 5 years old!! (times up!!)

Have any of you dealt with this before?

All I can think of is to cut the battery box (but not destroy it), remove the battery, re-install new one, and patch up the box in a reasonable fashion.

Your thoughts and opinions are most welcome.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

battery box

Post by RicM »

Which raises the question of how they put it in.....???? Cheap & easy way....cut out the starboard side of the box, leaving enough at the bottom of the cut to keep new battery in place....just enough to bump it over. Slide battery out, slide new battery in. Put box back together with some reenforcement and 5200.
Better, wreck the box, buy a new one ($70) install 4 stops to keep the battery from sliding around. Make the starboard stop removable so the box can slide over to the opening. I don't think you have to worry about the battery leaving the surface, If you are pounding enough to get a 4D airborne you have bigger problems.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Yes, I've fought the 2nd battery since day one. I have pictures to prove how we got in this predicament. They built the battery in before the decks were attached. I should have asked about servicability before they finished.

After multiple scraped knuckles and knocking the battery caps off into the bilge, I removed the Todd cover and "modified" it with a band saw. I cut the lip off two sides of the cover so that you can slide the cover into position rather than having to try and compress the insulation to lift it off.

Removing the battery for replacement is another fun task. Mine has 1" x 1" slats preventing the battery for sliding off the shelf. I cannot lift the battery enough to clear them. I had to remove the aft one to slide the battery out. Wrestling a 4D battery laying on your back on the stringer in the bilge is just not something you want to do too often.

Here's a photo of the battery platform installation on Dogonit -

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Ric & Jack,
Thanks for the quick responses.

Ric, you and I are thinking alike.
Either modify the existing box, (cut and repair), or destroy it, remove it, and put in a new box with removable stops.

I think I'll go the modification route first, and if that fails, it's replace and modify.

Jack,
They simply placed a 4D down, and built a boat around it!!!
Great pic. Mine is a little different (what a surprise!) but same idea.

5 years from those originals.....not bad.
But I don't want ot get stuck somewhere.....both are being replaced.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Removal of second battery

Post by JoeH »

Bob,

I recently had a similar problem. Although my battery box was not screwed to the deck, it was held in place with straps. I removed the starboard storage box and opened the back hatch, whereby I had better access to the battery in question. Removed the ss adjustable floor post and was able to swing the D4 battery to a position where I was able to muscle it out. I then replaced it with a Group 31commercial battery which I use as my starting battery. They are used in diesel trucks. I purchased it from Bill Russell at www.CapeCodBoaters.com. They're a new boating Co-Op and have great prices. The new battery is smaller, lighter and considerably easier to manipulate. If you need any further assistance ask for my phone number and I'll walk you through the installation.

Joe H
Scituate
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Joe,
I've been using CC Boater's Co-op for well over a year.
Bill, Frank and Sally have been awesome.
Bought two new 4D batteries and they had them in just a few hours.
Great price, great service.
Will install next weekend.
I"ve decided to "do it right" and replace the existing battery box to match the other.
Should be routine....once I get the old box out!
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

lol.

I've been coming to realize that almost everything UNDER the deck was installed prior to the deck being fastened to the hull. I assume its like this for many boats. Nonetheless, repairs and maintenance is difficult,

It seems that a lot of 'creativity' and ingenuity is going to be required by the end-user.....US! Unfortunately for us, it means we have to spend MORE money to make the task easier the next time around.

I guess this is the price we must pay for having a boat that packs a lot into 28-35 feet of boat.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

The batteries are now replaced.
Not bad afterall.
First battery below hatch is a piece of cake, easily removed, and the box was unscrewed and removed.
The second battery & box:(traced pattern on plywood floor)
Removed cover, used a sabre saw, cut straight down on the right side about an inch from either end. That allowed the side of the box to be dropped down enough to slide battery out. Unscrewed that box and removed. Screwed down starboard strips 1.5 " high on three sides. Put new battery in new box, attached leads, topped with cover, and slid into position. Screwed in last starboard strip to secure.
Screwed down the box directly under the hatched, dropped in battery, connected leads, and covered.
Done.
I purchased a new battery box since I thought the original would be destoyed after I made the two cuts in the side. Actually (hindsight) I easily could have used that old box. The section that was pushed down to allow the battery to come out, sprung back into shape immediately, and once the cover was put back on, it seemed as rigid as the new box.
Oh well, $90 bucks that I didn't need to spend. But, I didn't want to get 80% through this little project, to find I couldn't complete it, and need to order a new box.
Done, and done right. Two new batteries....peace of mind.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Congratulations

Post by RicM »

Isn't it great when the job is not quite as bad as you feared? I think at least 1 of my batteries is the original so I'll be there soon.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
DAVEWAXX
Mate
Mate

Battery boxe issue

Post by DAVEWAXX »

Hey Guys be careful, I just bought my albin 28te and the goof ball before me built his own batt box and it coverd the weep hole which resulted in water building up and seeping into the stringer causing dryh rot and now I have to remove and replace the 2/3rds of the starboard stringer.

Good news albin said it is not super structureable they do support the engine but with a pull and some iron wood it can be fixed.

Just and FYI
J.P. Cruz
310-614-8000

Return to “Albin Maintenance”