• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wet Sanding Before and ... After

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Wet Sanding Before and ...

Post by jcollins »

jerseyalbin wrote:My gelcoat is not as heavily oxidized as your pictures look but I need to compound or use something to remove the oxidation, I have a 2004 28TE.

I know at one point I found some good information on here and I cannot find it again? I am trying to be conservative the first time around and not go to the real aggressive compounds. I have the dark green hull, which does look nice when waxed but it needs work, particularly the side which faces south all the time.

Does any one know where the thread I am refering to may be found, or any experience would be helpful. Thanks, I am trying not to win the award at the NE Rendevous!!

Craig
Jersey Albin
There are a few. Here is one viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1321&start=0&hilit=colored+hulls
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: Wet Sanding Before and ...

Post by jcollins »

RicM wrote:I'd be curious to know how much this process costs you.
3 1/2 days work plus material. 1600.00. Money well spent.
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wet Sanding Before and ... After

Post by RicM »

I just finished my blue hull on an 03 TE and it looks great. One pass on the North side, 2 passes on the South with 3M Super Duty compound then 2 coats of Rejex and it looks fantastic if I do say so myself. DO NOT WORRY about burning through the gelcoat. Remember, directions and cautions on the packaging is all written for automotive use with paint, and gelcoat is about 10 times thicker than paint. I use a 7" 2500 RPM 90 degree grinder with the most aggressive foam pads I can get from www.autogeek.net and have really leaned on it in areas where I have scratches and gouges and I have NEVER seen the back side of the blue gelcoat in 3 seasons of doing this. Next year I will probably try to find someone to wet sand, as I just barely stay ahead of the oxidation, and if there proves to be not enough gel then it will be time for Awlgrip, but not until the white starts showing through.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Aboslutely fabulous!

Spent the day yesterday compounding .... for the 1st time she just won't come back on the south side ... :(

Thanks, oh fearless leader, for this motivating thread ... time to explore the wet sanding option for next season. You're looking good! 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Pitou wrote:Aboslutely fabulous!

Spent the day yesterday compounding .... for the 1st time she just won't come back on the south side ... :(

Thanks, oh fearless leader, for this motivating thread ... time to explore the wet sanding option for next season. You're looking good! 8)
Thanks. But, remember. Maintenance waxing every 3-4 months.
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote: .... for the 1st time she just won't come back on the south side ... :(
Kev, sorry to hear you can't get it up.....trying rubbing harder :lol:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
Pitou wrote: .... for the 1st time she just won't come back on the south side ... :(
Kev, sorry to hear you can't get it up.....trying rubbing harder :lol:
Well Rob, I rubbed it again .... the shine is up!

Initially after using the super duty compound things looked pretty damn good and then the Finesse-it II left a slight white washed look and then when I applied and removed the Rejex the blue hull went back to looking heavily oxidized! WTF!!!

Back to square one ....
I compounded the whole hull below the rub rail and went straight to Collinite paste wax and she's lookin' good. I was so pissed I applied a 2nd coat of Collinite.

The future plan is to stick with this program!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Hey John, just curious how the shine is holding up. Have you kept up with the waxings?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Carl wrote:Hey John, just curious how the shine is holding up. Have you kept up with the waxings?

Carl,
Holding up great. Still looks new. I had it waxed the end of July. (in-water) Although there is one little scrape, caused by docking, that should compound out in the Fall. :oops:
John
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Thats great. I am having mine pulled next week to clean the bottom and have the hull waxed. It is starting to show some haze, so I hope to catch it before it gets too bad. You must be happy after spending the money, to see that it is holding up.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Truly an awesome job!!
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Have a 2001 TE blue hull and have struggled for three or four years with the sun exposed starboard side. We could clean it up well at the beginning of the season but after a month or side it would begin to fade and fade. This year we wet sanded, not doing a great job, and then applied Polyglow according to directions (simple). The hull looks great. Next year we will improve the surface prep in the one area that does not look great and use it again. We might be forestalling the inevitable, but a right now it appears to be a great solution.

Don - Osprey
Don

Return to “Albin Maintenance”