• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The noisy 4D61 rides again

Albin's "power cruisers"
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Re: The noisy 4D61 rides again

Post by Vic K »

Mummi,

Noise in my back cabin is no problem since I no longer have a back cabin.

Vic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Touche....
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Hi
There is an old video of a 4D61 on utube. http://youtu.be/QG1DZnxLqwg
( I needed to heard the noise in mid winter here)
But you can see sound a airmen material added to the FWD bulkhead.
Boat is sold apparently.
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

3759 hours on the 4D61 in the video. Makes mine at just over 1000 a newbie!
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Hey! That's my Albin and the mighty 4D61! Or at least it was...

Yes, it sold and has since taken a trip from Long Island, NY to Massachusetts and then the ICW down to Florida where she is today. Bet she has over 4,000 hours now. The new owner drops me a line on how the old girl is doing now and then.

I poke in here from time to time still. Can't take the Albin entirely out of me (right Vic?)!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

In a Peugeot 504, 4000 hours at an average of say 40mph would only be 160K miles.That's nothing.
My friend drove his for just under half a million miles before rust finally scrapped it. That's about 10,000 hours without any engine maintenance other than regular servicing. And I sold my 604 (basically the same engine but turbo) the other day with 170K on the clock and still going. Tough engines.
I'll look out for Bunkie when I head that way next month.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi everyone back to the noise problem. I was reading Beta marine engines from England. They have motors built for canal barges that are totally enclosed in a case would love to have one of those. What does everyone think of that? Sort of like an engine box. I know you need to check the oil and service it. I was thinking of bending aluminum plate around the motor in pieces and having them go to the bottom of the bilge and installing sound proofing on the inside.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

Just like a generator in a sound proof box.
When an engine is designed to go in a box then cables; fuel lines; controls; etc. are positioned to suit panel removal for maintenance so a bit of realignement may be necessary.
One of the main materials in sound proofing panels is lead sheet so keeping access panels in modest dimensions may be a good idea.
Roger
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Chris,

You can build a bulky ,expensive sound box or you can try the 'blanket' method described by some old coot on this site. It's easy to handle. You can do routine maintain with little effort. Plus it's inexpensive and it works. If you're not pleased ( you will be) then you can go the other way.

Vic
aka OC
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Vic yes I will start with the blanket. How much do you want for yours? I was working on the boat last night and looking at the engine bulkheads and to insulate them properly is a real high dollar job. There are holes everywhere so that's why I was thinking about the box.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Very, very expensive. About $25. I'll give you a call.
Vic
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Sounds good. We have to add on shipping to. Has anyone ever heard of green glue. Could you add another 3/4 inch piece of plywood and put that in between as a decoupling barrier. Then you could mount everything on the new bulkhead. The bulkheads are a about two feet high and ten feet long that's a lot of sound proofing material. I'm starting with a clean slate so easier to do it now.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

I know your not running at the moment but you can get a decibel meter for free to add to a so called smart phone.
With a running engine you or somebody running Could move around the boat and figure out where the sound actually comes into the people areas so we could concentrate on the right places.( I assume the hatches are the biggest area)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm still on the quest to quiet the 4d-61. I got a decibel meter for my phone. Free app. I'm getting about 85 decibels at head level at 2500 rpms. I was wondering what others are getting on there boats. It would be fun to know about other boats to. I have put 1 inch sound down on bulk heads. 1 1/2 inch on hatches. Foamed engine room cracks. This year I put sound down covering most of freshwater and holding tank fronts. This helped take the drone sound down. I think they where like drums. I got some 2 lb. mass loaded vinyl and rolled it out over the engine room hatches. I think this might of lowered it two decibels. I don't think it was worth the money on that. Most of the loudest sound comes from the storage box on the port starboard sides 95 to 100 decibels there. I always thought the sound was coming up and around you. Since it's totally hollow in there. I'm going to put sound material in bottoms to see if it helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Chris

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”