• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow Rail Removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

Bow Rail Removal

Post by DownEast2 »

I am buying a 2001 28' TE soon I hope. It has a broken fitting at the base of the bow rail that attaches to the fiberglass. My question is I would like to remove the rail so I can bring it to a welder and have the fitting welded, are the flanges screwed or bolted to the deck surface? If they are bolted I don't see any way to get to the underside to put a wrench on the bolts. At the very least I would like to remove the one broken flange to get it off the fiberglass surface to weld it in place.
Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Re: Bow Rail Removal

Post by GSSeattle »

They are through-bolted. For the rail stanchions further aft (first two or three), you can access them from the access panel under the helm, or by removing the panels over the quarter berth. The ones by the bow pulpit can be accessed through the anchor locker. The other front ones, I haven't figured out a way to access short of removing the entire headliner. I think there were some threads on this topic if you search the Tournament Express forum.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

You don't have to remove the headliner to access the stanchions in the cabin. You just have to locate them by pressing firmly on the headliner. Then you can make a small cut in the headliner for access, and cover later with material of your choice. Our repair guy used starboard, and we're very satisfied.

In the first photo below, the blue tape marks the spot in the microwave cabinet.

stanchion 3-galley cabinet-1200.jpg
stanchion backing pl cover-10.03.20-1200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

Post by DownEast2 »

Thank you for your replies, that will be one of the winter projects assuming the boat purchase actually goes through. I'm hopeful that my next sea trial will go off without a hitch.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”