• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

shaft coupling puller

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

shaft coupling puller

Post by motthediesel »

I'm doing some work on the driveline in our Albin 27FC. I'm posting it here because it might be of value to folks working on other models as well.

Our boat is equipped with a flex coupling made by Federal, as you see here:

As is often the case with this kind of job, there is very little room available to work, and there was no chance of fitting a conventional jaw-type puller. So what I used was a plate puller designed for removing flywheels from OMC outboards. The particular one I have was my Dad's that he used for servicing Gale outboards at his dealership back around 1960. The design has been unchanged all these years, and the exact same puller is still readily available today, it is extremely robust, here's a picture of mine:

It bolted right up to the coupler using some 3-1/2" 3/8" bolts. A few turns of the big center bolt and the unit was clearly moving.

There wasn't enough thread to pull it all the way off in a single setup, so it had to be removed a couple of times to add spacers inside, in this case a socket and a few washers, but it worked perfectly well. I honestly think you could not design a tool specifically for this job that would work any better.

This can be an awful job, but in this case, the right tool made it easy.

Tom
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Re: shaft coupling puller

Post by honza »

Another way to do it could be to use a piece of a pipe or of a rod smaller diameter than the shaft (length = thickness of the coupling), longer 3/8' bolts and pull towards the engine flange pushing the short cylinder in the middle. (See Nigel Calder's book about boat diesels)
Jan
Slow Poke A25 #1110
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Yes, but I was concerned about the flange on the transmission, it uses 4 separate "horns" at the bolts rather than a full disc. I was concerned that those could be broken or distorted by loading them up as a puller, as that's not what they're designed for. Maybe they would have been fine, but I'd rather not take the chance.
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

You are right. I missed how deep the alignment recess is.
Slow Poke A25 #1110

Return to “Albin Maintenance”