• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE rudder angle

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 28TE rudder angle

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:Do you mean with the thruster motor running? Or the engine?
Good question to clear that up Doug. When I read it I "assumed" motor as in electric motor, not the engine. You do need to put a load on the thruster motor to check for a voltage drop.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Hi Doug -

We tested the voltage at the thruster with nothing running (to make sure it was essentially the same as the voltage at the batteries). We also tested it with both the engine and thruster running (in both directions) as those are the usual operating conditions.

Thanks for helping clarify.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Nancy wrote: We tested the voltage at the thruster with nothing running (to make sure it was essentially the same as the voltage at the batteries). We also tested it with both the engine and thruster running (in both directions) as those are the usual operating conditions.
8)
Well done! (Don't mean to overly question your methods - experience on various forums has shown that assuming people are doing it correctly is often wrong! Clearly you don't fall into that category!!)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

No problem, Doug. :) You never know when your seemingly flawless logic is, um, flawed. Always good to have a second set of eyes.

Can't wait to hear from the DC motor dude what he finds.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Well, it's past time to update this thread.

The bow thruster motor was reconditioned last July, including new brushes, and the difference in performance was amazing. We were finally able to dock with grace in adverse winds. So to anyone who thinks their bow thruster is wimpy, I highly recommend reconditioning the motor.

Last week, John made a small modification to the steering assembly. He drilled a new hole in the tiller about 1" forward of the original. (I keep forgetting to take a picture. In the meantime, refer to my 7/30/12 photo.) This is about as far as the cylinder will reach fully extended, and this seemingly small change has made a huge difference in close quarters handling. To our eyes, the rudder throw might have increased five degrees - hard to know without getting really anal on the measurements. The turning circle of the boat is definitely smaller than it was, and the best thing: the stern now turns easily to starboard when in reverse (we have a left-hand prop). Before this change, the boat only went straight (at low speed over a short distance) when in reverse no matter how the wheel was turned.

This new maneuverability is a very welcome change. I can now dock the boat much more easily without using the bow thruster - always a good thing to be able to do.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

Nancy wrote:Well, it's past time to update this thread.

The bow thruster motor was reconditioned last July, including new brushes, and the difference in performance was amazing. We were finally able to dock with grace in adverse winds. So to anyone who thinks their bow thruster is wimpy, I highly recommend reconditioning the motor.

Last week, John made a small modification to the steering assembly. He drilled a new hole in the tiller about 1" forward of the original. (I keep forgetting to take a picture. In the meantime, refer to my 7/30/12 photo.) This is about as far as the cylinder will reach fully extended, and this seemingly small change has made a huge difference in close quarters handling. To our eyes, the rudder throw might have increased five degrees - hard to know without getting really anal on the measurements. The turning circle of the boat is definitely smaller than it was, and the best thing: the stern now turns easily to starboard when in reverse (we have a left-hand prop). Before this change, the boat only went straight (at low speed over a short distance) when in reverse no matter how the wheel was turned.

This new maneuverability is a very welcome change. I can now dock the boat much more easily without using the bow thruster - always a good thing to be able to do.
Nancy can you post or e-mail me a picture of where you drilled the new hole? My boat turns very slow to port or strb and seems to take too long. My auto pilot shows only a 20 degree trun hard over boat port and strb? Is this normal on 2002 Albin 28TE'S? I would like to get 5 to 10 degrees at the least more.

Anyone else have any ideas? I would like to leave my rudder the same size. My bow thruster works great but out on the water with a lot of other boats close by or whane I need to make hard turns I need way more turning radis. PM me Nancy or post a picture for me please. Thanks SlimJim
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Slimjim, thanks for the nudge on the photo of the steering apparatus with the new hole. I've been meaning to post it.
steering-052813-1600.JPG
This very small change took us from about a 30-degree angle to about 50 degrees - not a 5-degree change as I previously indicated. The improvement in close quarters handling is amazing. We are being careful about handling at high speed until we're sure how the boat is reacting, and would urge anyone making similar modifications to do the same. Lots of boats handle badly or worse if operated foolishly.

One of the things we like about this mod is that it can easily be changed back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

Nancy wrote:Slimjim, thanks for the nudge on the photo of the steering apparatus with the new hole. I've been meaning to post it.
steering-052813-1600.JPG
This very small change took us from about a 30-degree angle to about 50 degrees - not a 5-degree change as I previously indicated. The improvement in close quarters handling is amazing. We are being careful about handling at high speed until we're sure how the boat is reacting, and would urge anyone making similar modifications to do the same. Lots of boats handle badly or worse if operated foolishly.

One of the things we like about this mod is that it can easily be changed back.
Awesome Nancy! Thats what I thought you did and now that I see the picture its what I thought. In a big following seas I would be very very careful if you are now 50 degrees and you could bury your bow at a high speed with a 50 degree rudder angle. Where I run in the ocean and bay we have bad weather a lot of the time and big following seas as well.

Right now I am only able to turn 20 degrees and I want at least 30 to 40 degrees so I am going to drill a hole maybe not as far as an inch but maybe a 1/2 inch and let you know how it works. Please keep us updated and I will as well and thanks so much for the fast reply. SlimJim
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Jim, thanks for your input on handling at high speed in a following sea. If we were in large following seas, we probably wouldn't be operating at high speed, and we'd be handling helm very tenderly. Haven't run into the situation yet. I'll certainly keep you posted, and look forward to hearing how this mod goes for you.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slimjim »

Nancy, attached is a picture of mine, I do have the 2nd hole already set so if I want to change the rudder I can. I'm going to leave it as is for now but its good to know I can if I need to. I am just posting this picture for others in case they want to
photo.JPG
Nancy thanks again for the picture of the rudder. It helped me out big time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”