• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bimini top

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Bimini top

Post by DougSea »

Hey all,

I had a request from one of the guys to share the details on how my bimini is configured. Thought I'd post it here rather than e-mail - add to the "knowledge base"

One thing to note, which won't be obvious in all of the photos, is that my bimini and drop curtains are separate. They mount so close to each other that they look like one unit. These were all on the boat when I bought it so I don't know who made them but it's a really nice setup.

The bimini has a slotted channel mounted permanently to the rear top of the pilothouse roof. A fabric "connector" slides into this and has a zipper on it's rear edge to connect to the traditional bimini top. The front section of the bimini tapers from the narrower end where it connects to the pilothouse out to the main section which covers the entire (wider) cockpit area.

Here's are overall shot from the stern:

The rest of these shots were taken as I prepared to shrink wrap the boat. The bimini itself has been removed from it's frame (which I streached the shrinkwrap over - great for working on the boat over the winter) and you can see the connector and it's fittings.

View from the rear of the still installed connector:

Connector track from the front:

Connector detail. It wraps around the radar arch and snaps to the sides of the pilot house. If you look closely you'll see that the two snap "posts" are fairly long. This allows the drop curtain to wrap around and snap onto the posts AND the connector snaps onto the same posts:

Finally a shot with the connector removed. You can see the channel along the top and the drop curtain snaps just under the edge of the roof:

Overall I really like this setup. This top was up through wind in excess of 60mph during the remnants of Ernesto last year and had no problems at all! (Boat in on a mooring so it was facing into the wind). The way the connector is set up rain and spray just roll along the pilothouse, onto the bimini and drop of the back. I get very few drips between the end of the roof and the bimini. This is further enhanced by the zipper on the back of the connector being set slightly forward from the edge of the fabric so there's a "flap" that covers the zipper and prevents water from dripping through the zipper.

Any questions just ask! 8)

p.s. - The boat is in the process of being renamed - but it's bad luck to tell it to you before I go through the ceremony!
Last edited by DougSea on Wed May 02, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Thanks Doug for the very quick response. Very good photos, just what I needed.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

No problem Richard. I actually took these some time ago but forgot about posting them! (I have that same age problem John is having! :? )

One other note; when I'm not using the top I can just lay it down with its boot on. It's mounted and sized so that it comes just past the end of the transom so I can still access the transom storage boxes.

Let me know if you need any more information.
Doug
Sonny IV
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Doug: I am interested in getting fishing rod holders like yours. Can you tell me what size they are? The arch outside diameter is 17/8 inch but none of the rod holders come in that size. I think there is a difference between tubing listed diameters and their actual diameter. Lee makes a 2 inch model and I would have to special order it and want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Not meaning to step-in but, / Russell, The pipe size for the radar arch is a #4. I set up 6 gold TACO rod holders on my arch fitting 3 each side of my radar. The link below brings you to a pretty good deal for these rod holders.
http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/ ... t=0&page=1
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Russell wrote:Doug: I am interested in getting fishing rod holders like yours. Can you tell me what size they are? The arch outside diameter is 17/8 inch but none of the rod holders come in that size. I think there is a difference between tubing listed diameters and their actual diameter. Lee makes a 2 inch model and I would have to special order it and want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks.
They're stock TACO adjustable rod holders. I believe they are part number F16-2630PLG-1. These are listed as fitting 1-1/4 thru 1-1/2 but they fit my arch just fine. West Marine stocks them.

If I can I'll verify the size tomorrow night. One nice thing is since they're stock you can try and return them easily! I just did the two to see how I liked them, now I'll be adding two more. These are the adjustable so I can twist them slightly off center. You may be able to see that in the picture above. The other models are fixed in position.
Doug
Sonny IV
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

p.s. - The boat is in the process of being renamed - but it's bad luck to tell it to you before I go through the ceremony!
One thing to remember in the ceremony is to remove anything with the old name on it. The other day I found the old name of my boat on the back of the VHF radio. I promptly removed it and toasted the gods. (any good reason for a toast)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Pitou wrote:Not meaning to step-in but, / Russell, The pipe size for the radar arch is a #4. I set up 6 gold TACO rod holders on my arch fitting 3 each side of my radar. The link below brings you to a pretty good deal for these rod holders.
http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/ ... t=0&page=1
Hey Pitou,

We're all friends here! Feel free to chime in anytime, especially with good pricing info!

Great prices at that site, just not seeing the adjustables in gold. I'm thinking I might move my two adjustables outboard and get two or four of the fixed for the inboard (closer to the radar mount).

Still hoping you'll post some more pictures of your Ocean worthy looking boat! 8)

John - I've been scouring the boat for any hint of her old name! Have to keep Poseidon happy! I'll have to make sure I keep a "toasting supply" available at all times.
Doug
Sonny IV
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Pitou: Thanks for the information. That is a great price and if the 1-1/2 inch size is correct it confirms my suspicion about tube diameters.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Doug Sea and All, roger that / all here as friends and to share. I thought I would need the adjustables as well, but the fixed holders worked out fine.

I promise to get some photos on the board soon. I've been laid up after major big time knee surgery for the past 6 months and out of work just tapping the wheel at work. Making up for lost time now and trying like h..ll to splash. Target / next week.

Here's a shot of starboard aft.

[img][img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/ ... c455ac.jpg[/img][/img]
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Center or attention

Post by RicM »

Are you guys really looking at the rod holders in this photo?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Center or attention

Post by DougSea »

RicM wrote:Are you guys really looking at the rod holders in this photo?
As far as he knows... 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Hey, easy Cowboys. That's my bride. 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good Taste

Post by RicM »

Just admiring your excellent taste in all things nautical!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I tried the largest rod holders I found at my West marine store and they were too small so I brought them back. The store clerk said those were the largest they had and I think they were 1.5". Maybe my arch is made out of larger pipe?
PITOU, your boat looks great, it doesn't look at all like mine. Your boat looks MANLY and mine looks wimpy. I love the door to the pilot house and all the other neat stuff attached. :wink:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”