• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AC on a 28

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: AC on a 28

Post by DougSea »

Just a brief update - the reverse cycle heat is awesome! Kat and I are up here at Block, listening to the Yankee game, in a very comfortable cabin!!

Haven't finished the piping of the air to the pilothouse so I have my little West Marine electric heater out there. Wind is howling! Love it!

And the Yankee's are 3 outs from the ALCS!!! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
scott sousa
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: bermuda

Post by scott sousa »

thanks so much for the info.. will print off so my dad can get an idea of what we are up against.. once again thanks .. we are looking at doing this for next season. enjoy your summer!!!!!
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

@ RobS - I'm in the process of installing a 10k BTU Dometic reverse cycle unit. You don't have a template of the platform you made for the unit by any chance do you?

Frank
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Old School wrote:_AT_ RobS - I'm in the process of installing a 10k BTU Dometic reverse cycle unit. You don't have a template of the platform you made for the unit by any chance do you?

Frank
A paper or cardboard template would have been very cumbersome (if not totally useless) since you are not working on a flat surface. What I did was make a template out of 3/4" TUFF-R rigid insulation.
0302000722.jpg
It was the same thickness as the marine plywood, rigid enough to hold it's shape and easy to cut with a sheetrock knife. We did two 28TE's at the same time and the patforms were slightly different for each. There are some variable such as exactly how the forward end of the stringers tie in to "V" of the hull, the thruster motor type and orientation, etc. So there is no one-size-fits-all template IMO. You will find the rigid insulation works out very well..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

Well Thank You! I never thought of that and have been struggling with cardboard.

BTW These 28's have a crash bulkhead! Damned!
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

Rob,

Since Hurricane Sandy is keeping me out of the water until at least June. And since I’m saving money on fuel. And since I have a lot of time on my hands now…..Oh well, you get the idea. I’ve decided to install A/C in my 28 TE. Your photos are a great help. I do have some questions I hope you’ll answer.

The wooden platform the unit sits on. Did you encapsulate it with epoxy or just paint it? Did you add supports under it or attached along the hull as it narrows? Is it just relying on the “V” hull to support it forward of the stringers?

Vents and ducts: Did you buy these items separately or as a kit (I see Webasto sells a kit which seems like overkill)? If you did buy them separately, where? I’m thinking of Home Depot or some such store.

Lastly (for now), anything you’d do differently or recommend?

Thanks, Ron Regetz
Owner of 28' TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The wooden platform is 3/4" marine plywood, just painted, topside only so the wood can breath and dry if it does get wet.

No supports. I cut it with an angle on the saw so that the edges sit flush on the inside of the hull. I set it into a bead of LifeSeal. I did put 2 small lag bolts at the aft end of both sides where it rests on the forward tips of the stringers. One stringer was lower than the other so I used a block of rigid insulation as a shim. You can see the bolt heads in this photo.
DSCN0693.JPG
The vents were from Home Depot.

The flexduct was bough online here: http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php?p= ... tegory=638

I would not do a single thing different regarding the installation but I have (at times) considered that the next size smaller unit may have been a better choice. Although this 9K unit can keep the cabin cool on the hottest of days and does it rather quickly, a smaller unit (5K or 6K) may cycle more during the evening and do a little better job keeping the humidity low during the night. I find myself dropping the temp a few degrees colder than what I need in order to get the unit to cycle during the night and keep the humidity out. Not sure, just a thought. Overall I’m extremely satisfied with the unit and the install.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

Thanks a lot. I've decided to go with the 5K unit as my trailer trash 5K window window unit sitting on the engine box cooled both the helm and cabin to acceptable temps. last year. There may be more questions in the future.
Owner of 28' TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

I'd agree with Rob on the sizing as well. Unless its really hot where you are the 5k will do the job.
Doug
Sonny IV
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:I'd agree with Rob on the sizing as well. Unless its really hot where you are the 5k will do the job.
Hello Doug! I just emailed John this week asking if you've been banned from posting :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

Thanks guys, I'm going with the 5K unit. Ordered it on Monday, received it on Tuesday (Defender Marine is a great outfit). One last question-I hope. The return and outlet grills: What material are yours made out of? I'd prefer plastic, no corrosion but it seems most are steel.
Owner of 28' TE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Doug! Where the heck have you been?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Capt Ron wrote:I'd prefer plastic, no corrosion but it seems most are steel.
I had the same concern but metal was only ones readily available so I went metal and figured I would have to either replace them every season (cheap enough) or consider them temporary until I found the right plastic ones. Neither was the case, 2 fulls seasons and they are rust free.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Nancy wrote:Doug! Where the heck have you been?
Hey Nancy, Rob, et all,

I was in a serious boating funk! After losing most of last season to a bad engine, that remains out of service, I just totally got away from anything boating related. Didn't read my favorite blogs, didn't scan the electronics websites, and except for continuing my admin duties, didn't read or post on AOG.

However, I'm sitting in the shade of Sonny's hull as I type this on my iPad, as I slowly work my way back in. Lots of posts to catch up on, witty advice, and snide comments to make! :)

I hope you've all been well!

I'll keep you posted on the engine that will hopefully soon be fixed and trustworthy again.
Doug
Sonny IV
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Doug, I can certainly understand how a major engine repair would make you wish you'd never set foot on the boat. I hope things are starting to look up.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”