• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

mixing elbow

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

peterf
Gold Member
Gold Member

mixing elbow

Post by peterf »

I have a 2000 albin 28 te with a yanmar 6lp-ste. just noticed a build up of black soot like stuff on the elbow itself where it is closest to the engine. Has anyone experienced this before or know what is causing it?? Should I be concerned?
Thanks for your help
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

The elbow and turbo are sealed with a crush gasket and a compression clamp, at least on mine it is. If not tight you can get a leak which will cause a soot build up in that area. BIG NOTE to anyone with a 6lp. Check your engine manual. On mine there is a 5 year replacement on this part. Mine failed at 6 years. the Elbow actually failed like you had cut the flange off with a saw. Clean as a whistle. The part is expensive if you replace the elbow and the mixer which is what I did. If memory serves me...the two were about $1270.00 with new gasket and clamps. Btw when it fails, all the exhaust coming from the turbo dumps into your engine compartment. Makes for some exciting moments. There is also a service bulletin on putting it back together as it is sometimes difficult to get a good seal. I ended up having to have the mechanic clean the turbo face off with a drimel tool to get a good seal.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Chief,

Is there any preventative maintenance that can be done on the elbow and mixer?
peterf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by peterf »

Thanks for the info chief. The elbow was taken off this spring to check it & I guess not sealed properly. I now have 7 years on the engine & even though it looked good this spring I guess I have to do something about replacing the whole thing. I was thinking about the new stainless one although much more expensive it should last the life of the engine. Any thoughts ?
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

No preventative maintenance that I could determine. I had mine inspected too...and several months later it failed without warning. My recommendation is to replace it before it fails. The manual says 5 years.

It appears to be a very poor quality casting ( what we use to call pot metal).

I did find a stainless steel one on line, but it was around $2300.00 and was more than I could afford at the time. If you take it out to replace it, make sure you prop up the exhaust hose or tie it up. If left to its own the hose will creep down and drop below the level of the exhaust...then water will come back into your boat and in a short time it will sink.... :shock:
Albin 28TE "Southwind"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”