• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AC on a 28

Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: AC on a 28

Post by Capt Ron »

OK, a couple of more” last” questions (I hope) I’m seeing where the raw water lines are going through the bulkhead in the thruster area then through the area under the dinette into the shower sump area. Did you have to drill more holes in the stringer (there are 4 holes in it now) to complete the run to head and thru-hull, strainer, pump or did you have another exit from there?
What size return grill did you use? Home Depot doesn’t have the size I’d like to use (10x10 or 10x12)?
Just a stupid note. Drilling that 4” hole in the storage cabinet took 2 hours! I’m very glad Albin did some over kill on cabinet design. The drill bound up near the end and slammed into the cabinet supports. I was surprised I don’t have some cabinet repair to do next! The hull should be that well built!
Owner of 28' TE
fredfryguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Wilmington, NC- summer. Stuart, Fl- winter

Post by fredfryguy »

Hi Rob, I see you installed your Webasto AC unit 2 years ago. How is it running for you and has there been any service issues? Did you purchase it on line or from a local dealer?
The Rotary Air unit in my 28 died and looking at my options. Thanks. Fred
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Matt (mhanna) and I are both extremely happy with our units and would go with the same units if we were to do it all over again. We bought them from Defender online and got the boat show price. They were at the Miami boat show at the time we ordered. Zero issues since install.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
fredfryguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fredfryguy »

Robb, Thanks for the quick reply. As an aside back in the early 70's I fished out of Old Neck Marina in Center Moriches and was a member of the Great Gun Anglers to the mid 80's. Had great times.
Fred
fredfryguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fredfryguy »

RobS wrote:Matt (mhanna) and I are both extremely happy with our units and would go with the same units if we were to do it all over again. We bought them from Defender online and got the boat show price. They were at the Miami boat show at the time we ordered. Zero issues since install.

Hey Rob, I see you mounted your AC control panel next to the circuit breaker panels. Where is the access to that area from the engine room or cabin? Thanks, Fred
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Removal of the small vertical upholstery panel above the aftbunk headliner will reveal circuit drops (feeds) to the existing AC/DC panels and you can snake the a/c controller wiring down. Removal of the horizontal trim panels covering the bolted shoebox joint will allow you to run the controller wiring forward up to the area behind the microwave. Once behind the microwave a small hole drilled down under microwave platform will allow you to drop the wire down behind the fridge and snake it into the port v bunk and eventually up to the forward v to the a/c unit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

fredfryguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fredfryguy »

Hi Robb, Once again great job and quick reply! Thanks so much. I am in the process of installing a 9000 btu Webasto. You guys sure make it installs easier. Do you know any of the Great Gun Anglers? I sure miss going to Great Gun beach in the 70s. I practically brought up my kids there! Sea ya, Fred
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

No problem. Wayne Carlough I know well. We've always been in Moriches Anglers. Going to GG beach today.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

fredfryguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fredfryguy »

RobS wrote:No problem. Wayne Carlough I know well. We've always been in Moriches Anglers. Going to GG beach today.
Rob, Say hello to Wayne for me! Him and I were on the jacket design committe of the GGC committee. He's a piece of work! Do you know Tommy Leitch? Have a great day at GG beach! Glad To hear its still there! Tell Wayne, Fred Walker the McDonalds man, sends him good wishes. Fred
Iso0725
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: SG

Post by Iso0725 »

Hey Doug,

Hope all was well for your AC routing project to the pilot house. Intending to do similar as well.

If any pictures r avail, will be v helpful :)

Thanks!

DougSea wrote:
RobS wrote:Doug,
It's time form an AC install status report from you :wink:
Well you know you and Matt set the bar awfully high with the photo's and the write up!!

But yes, I do owe an update. So here's a quick status report:

Knew that I wanted the capacity to cool both the cabin and the pilothouse. So based on your (which means both Rob and Matt) comments I knew the 9,000BTU unit was my minimum. Did consider the 12k. Also knew I wanted it in before my trip to the Hudson with crazy hot weather forecast. So I call Defender, no 9,000 BTU in stock. 12,000 IS. I now have a 12,000 BTU unit! :)

The descriptions and photo's you provided were invaluable in helping move this along. As I type this (on my iPad!!) I'm sitting in my cabin, cool as a cucumber! I owe you a full write up, and I'll try and do that this week as well as complete the venting to the pilothouse but I've delayed to long in saying THANK YOU to Rob and Matt!!

So, thanks guys!!

Cooly yours,

Doug
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi there,

I never did complete the run to the pilothouse, although I did have a route mapped out (under the head, up the console.) We ended up selling the boat before I really tackled the AC.

One issue that slowed me down was I was having trouble locating the proper fittings to split the line I ran to the head, along with a good diffuser (the thing on the outlet) that could be adjusted (like the way you can change the vents in your car when your wife is freezing and you're boiling!)

The ones on our 35 would have been perfect. Not sure of the brand but I'm moving the boat back up to Essex tomorrow and can take a look. I'll also dig into my photo library and see if I have anything that I can add to the thread.

Happy to discuss any ideas you may have!

Best,
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”