• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Complete Yacht Services, get your Yanmar parts price quote in writing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Complete Yacht Services, get your Yanmar parts price quote in writing

Post by Norseman »

Yanmar parts in SE Florida:
Just a heads up to anybody ordering parts from Complete Yacht Services in Fort Lauderdale:
The quoted price may not always equal the billed price:
I called to order a mixing elbow, a timing belt and a tensioner, the quotes were $548.00, $126.67 and $183.00
When I stopped by to pay the bill, after their mechanic had installed the parts, the price now was $575.79 $155.69 and $278.91.
They admitted errors on the first 2 items and adjusted the prices, but refused to honor their own quote on the tensioner.
Perhaps it was an honest mistake, not sure but I ended up paying over $100 out of pocket over and above the agreed price.
Anybody dealing with Complete Yacht Services in Fort Lauderdale would be wise to get quoted prices in writing.
Everybody with a Yanmar 6LP-STE/6LPA-STP probably know already that the engine comes from a Toyota Land Cruiser and that the Toyota parts are the same as the more expensive Yanmar labeled parts?
I knew it too, but chose to buy the Yanmar parts from a Yanmar Dealer at slightly discounted prices.
The above mark ups however are more than I want to swallow and will shop Toyota next time, a valve cover gasket will probably be less than $80..🙄
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Complete Yacht Services, get your Yanmar parts price quote in writing

Post by Tree »

Ouch. I paid less than that by a considerable amount. Genuine Toyota cambelt, tensioner and idler pulley was £89. Mixing elbow made from 316 stainless so will never need to replace it - imported in from HDI marine cost around £500 but that included the dry elbow, heat shields v clamps and gaskets.

I have a company here in the UK that can supply worldwide the entire kits for the cambelt.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:34 pm Ouch. I paid less than that by a considerable amount. Genuine Toyota cambelt, tensioner and idler pulley was £89. Mixing elbow made from 316 stainless so will never need to replace it - imported in from HDI marine cost around £500 but that included the dry elbow, heat shields v clamps and gaskets.

I have a company here in the UK that can supply worldwide the entire kits for the cambelt.
Yeah, highway robbery in the US.
It appears the Toyota Land Cruiser 4.2 diesel was never imported to the US, hence parts are not readily available. (Except from overseas which brings more hassle with shipping, duty, returns, etc.)
In the meantime, wot a quote for the tensioner from another Yanmar shop in my area, this one right at $183, which is what the first place quoted me, then changed it after the parts were installed on the engine, honest fraud, or honest mistake...? :shock:
9E4682DB-04AC-44D6-B8B3-E05591D5E56F.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

The mixing elbow was from the states. The HDI marine stuff really is good quality.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:06 pm The mixing elbow was from the states. The HDI marine stuff really is good quality.
I looked closely at a SS mixing elbow on eBay for $370, but unsure of manufacture and of quality, it could have been a $10 copy from China and could have failed after 6 months.
Decided on the original cast iron Yanmar elbow, it lasted 12 years on my boat and I will be happy with another 12 years.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Next time it’s up for replacement I’d really recommend HDI. I think they’re on the west coast and the product is better quality than the Yanmar part by a long way.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:39 pm Next time it’s up for replacement I’d really recommend HDI. I think they’re on the west coast and the product is better quality than the Yanmar part by a long way.
Noted, appreciated and yes, I plan to live that long. (2 years or 500 hours, and will let the current mixing elbow run for 10 years with the old one as a spare onboard with hoses and hose clamps ready to go: I should be around then, quit smoking 2 years ago and quit eating dead animals 5 years ago, hopefully that improves my longevity but will also get a spare HDI)
Thx.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. imported in from HDI marine
Old thread, but got an update:
I also ordered HDI Marine exhaust parts and very happy with the quality , the customer service and the price.
Good stuff for sure, especially compared to the Yanmar cast iron overpriced stuff... :shock:
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Now, would you like the details on the cambelt kit from the UK firm?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Now, would you like the details on the cambelt kit from the UK firm?
Yeah, in about 5 years or so:
Already did the 1000 hour service, the exhaust pieces, etc recently.
Nothing important due for now, but I sure would like to have access to your discount Yanmar parts on short notice: We are being raped here in the Land of The Free: $280 for a tensioner..Ludicrous :shock:

Return to “Albin Maintenance”