• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vetus bowthruster

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jgolm

Vetus bowthruster

Post by jgolm »

My bowthruster will only go to the port. I just got it out of storage. I cleaned all the terminals I could find. The boat is a 2005 28TE. Ay ideas? Where and how do I find the brushes?
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Not sure if this will work because it does go to port, but can you check the resistance to see if there is a break in the circuit anywhere.

Maybe it's the stick control itself.
jgolm

Vetus Bow Thruster

Post by jgolm »

I think if possible I will switch wires on the controller to see if it will go to starboard. If so, it is the controller
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

actually, that's a really good idea! :D
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Been there. Fixed that on my 96 32. One new joy stick. $$$ Ouch!
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Dave39
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pilots Point North Yard Westbrook, CT

Post by Dave39 »

You can access the rear of the . If your;re lucky maybe a loose connection.joy stick through the panel in back of the head
Dave Sieben (Dave39)
Hideaweigh
1998 31TE Cummins 450
203-640-6127
203-843-2578
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

One item I have found very helpful with electric switches on boats is Lectra-Motive, a spray electric parts cleaner sold at auto parts stores. It cleans the corrosion from contacts and has saved me from replacing seemingly broken switches. It is worth a try before buying a new switch.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I had a problem with the trim tabs. At first they would extend, but not retract. Then, they stopped working all together. I finally figured out that even though the connections on the controls looked solid, they were so corroded under the suface that they weren't conducting any electricity. Replaced all the connectors and now they work fine.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Russell wrote:One item I have found very helpful with electric switches on boats is Lectra-Motive, a spray electric parts cleaner sold at auto parts stores. It cleans the corrosion from contacts and has saved me from replacing seemingly broken switches. It is worth a try before buying a new switch.
And something to use when re-connecting wires and switches .... Dielectric Silicone Compound or Dielelectric Grease as it is sometimes referred to. Available at most auto parts and marine stores.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Bow Thruster Problem

Post by Doug »

I had a simular problem. On the side of the thruster is a "4 in a row" electical connector. I unsnapped it, cleaned it good, and it fixed the problem.

Doug
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Vetus bowthruster

Post by RobS »

jgolm wrote: Where and how do I find the brushes?
Just so the original question does not go unanswered:

BE SURE ALL POWER IS OFF BEFORE WORKING ON THE THRUSTER.

The way to access the brushes is to remove the silver/gray metal mesh screen that runs around the perimeter of the motor just below the top.
(You may need to first remove the protective gray plastic cover covering the solenoid assembly in order to get at all 4 brushes.)
On the mesh screen you'll see what looks like a metal spring holding the mesh screen together/closed - one end of that spring has a little clip. Carefully lift that spring hook. Once open you will find four brushes in slides or guides, each held in by a coil spring. To get at a brush, pull back the coil spring and the brush should slide right out.

This weekend I checked the brushes in my motor. A new brush length is 28mm and the max wear limit is 14mm. Mine measured 27mm, so no need to change those out. Here’s some pictures for a visual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”