• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rydlyme

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Rydlyme

Post by marko »

My mechanic has recommended back-flushing my Cummins engines and heat exchangers with Rydlyme.
On-line lit seems good, bio-degradable, etc. He says closed loop flow with his pump for 2 hrs at 50/50 mix. Then fresh water flush. Any experiences or comments? Thanks.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Rydlyme

Post by RobS »

Do a search with me as author for some info and pics.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by marko »

When Googled a few comments on thehulltruth.com (?) link had some watch outs and neutralizing w/
baking soda after. The mechanics backflush rig I haven't seen yet, next week. Apparently time and mix are judgmental values for each case. Still interested in experiences, esp on Cummins engines.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

marko wrote:My mechanic has recommended back-flushing my Cummins engines and heat exchangers with Rydlyme.
On-line lit seems good, bio-degradable, etc. He says closed loop flow with his pump for 2 hrs at 50/50 mix. Then fresh water flush. Any experiences or comments? Thanks.
I just completed a Rydlyme flush on my Cummins with great results. 2 gals. of Rydlyme & 2 gals. of water backflushed through the heat x-changer exiting the bottom of the aftercooler for 2 hours, let it sit for 15 minutes and then reversed the hoses and flushed forward for 1 more hour. I then forward flushed with fresh water for 15 minutes followed by direct fresh water hose back flushing of the heat x-changer through the hose to the exhaust elbow draining through the lowest zinc location and back flushing the aftercooler in a similar manner.

The results could not have been better. Before flush: 185 at cruise 22 - 2600 rpm and 198 - 200 at WOT / 3000 rpm. I had never seen that high of a temp at WOT before and that is what precipitated this project. After the flush: 180 at cruise and 182 at WOT.

Thanks to Rob for his prior posts and photos on this subject along with his recent email exchanges. These results have me considering a testimonial letter to Rydlyme Marine.

Since I just turned the clock on 1000 hours I refreshed my AirSep system with a new main and breather filter. She's now got fresh air and clean pipes!

Here is a photo of my my recirculation system utilizing a submersable sump pump, a couple of washing machine hoses and the 1 1/2 inch hose barb fittings to garden hose connections.
Rydlyme Sept 11 2012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Kev, Glad it worked out and thanks for posting the before/after data.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by marko »

Kevin:
That is one clean engine! Mechanic did similar back flush on both engines for about 2hrs each. I don't know results yet, as in the process we discovered a severely rust exhaust elbow under the special insulating collar on the port engine. Apparently the sealant on the hatch structure above leaked directly onto this collar and kept it soaked. Did not realize this as the port access hatch is under the steps to the flybridge. Couldn't see this issue from opening the center hatch, which is done all the time, as it's in between the engines. Would have to lift and stow the steps to get access, which will be done a lot more now. Had to remove it by cutting the bolts (what was left of them) to remove this custom elbow made of plain steel. Having a new one made out of stainless, ordered 4 weeks ago, still waiting. Made sealant repairs. Back on subject: mechanic says everyone seems to get good results from Rydlyme. I'm still waiting for a verdict. Will try to upload some photos.
Mark

Return to “Albin Maintenance”