• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine stop button

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Engine stop button

Post by furball »

The stop button stopped working Sunday. 2006 Yanmar 6LP
I tried jumping the two connections on the back side of the stop button but no joy.
The key does shut the motor down.
I assumed that the button was bad when the key shut the engine down but after jumping the two leads on the stop button and the engine kept running, I'm not sure what to check next.
Does the key and button activate the same solenoid?
Thanks,

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Engine stop button

Post by RobS »

Yes, there is only this one shutoff solenoid on the inj pump and the one relay connected to it. The relay is above the bell housing on the intake side of the turbo but none of that is your issue.

If the key works and the button does not it sounds like its the wiring to the button from the key switch so I would start by tracing those and see what you find. You can double check the switch with a continuity meter..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I tested mine upon purchase. It was the stop relay that activates the solenoid.

Let me add a bit more. The key enables 12 vdc to all the gauges and devices (relays, alarm, etc) on the motor and gauge panel. The start button engages (sends 12 vdc) to the starter. The stop button sends 12 vdc to the stop relay located on the transmission end of the engine. Looking aft it is left side of engine. The stop relay has NC (normally closed contacts) that allow power the the fuel cutoff solenoid by the fuel pump. Yanmar recommends not using the key to shut down the motor. The PO of mine did so for quite a bit.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I had quite the opposite this time last year. Running along happily doing 18 knots when the engine stopped without warning. The stop relay had corroded. 5 minutes job to replace and that includes trimming the cable ties.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Same here Tree. I happened to have just completed my shaft seal replacement, engine alignment and had prop checked and tuned so I was doing a WOT test and the relay shut the engine down while I was running full throttle. Talk about timing and 30 seconds of fear...I thought for sure I was going to open the engine box to an bilge full of oil, coolant and ugliness. What a relief.

Thinking back on it now, if I were a 6LP owner I would replace it for the $30. Fortunately, since I was doing a WPT test I was in an open & calm area, etc so the location was okay.. If I had been running in a ripping inlet or navigating a crowded waterway things coulda got ugly real fast. Here's some pics and info if anyone is interested..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Great pictures of where it is. I traced my wiring to find it. I went with a universal relay used for fog lights 30A rating picked up at autozone.. No Yanmar dealer open on Saturday.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Certainly leaves you with the fear of staining in the pants department when it does it Rob! Thr location of it is prone to being a problem. I found mine had corroded simply because water had got on it from when the zinc above it had been replaced. It's now clipped up in place with their terminals on the underside to stop that happening again.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by furball »

Thanks for the photos and explanations.
Makes a lot more sense now and a heck of a lot easier to find.

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by furball »

So I had "my guy" call Mack Boring today to order a replacement relay and I wanted to pass along the info we received.
According to MB, Yanmar engines, 6LP, are designed to turn off with the key and no Yanmar panels for that motor ship with a stop button. Albin add on apparently. He asked that I check the wiring diagram in my manual, LOL.
If the key turns off the engine then the relay is working and the button must be bad.
He called is a start relay, not a stop relay.
Guess that's why the stories of sudden engine shutdown but none regarding not stopping.
I'm going to check the stop switch when I go down this weekend and I'm ordering a spare relay regardless.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Know I need to understand how a 4 prong relay works.

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Seriously? I think the rep at MB is the one who needs to check the wiring diagram and check his source of information. All three Yanmar supplied panels have a Stop button (the B Panel, the C Panel and the D Panel....ALL of them) , section 4.7 on page 31 of the Yanmar supplied operation manual gives specific instruction on stopping the engine with the Stop button and, of course, the Stop button is shown in the wiring diagrams.

I agree that the relay is not specific to your issue, it was a sidebar to this thread..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

When my relay started acting up I couldn't stop the engine with the stop button so I believe that relay does both functions. If I recall 5 of the six terminals are used on it. Are we absolutely sure that the relay we've spoken about doesn't do both functions?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Mine is key off, confirmed when I had it surveyed by a very reputable surveyor. Stop button is there but does nothing. That was at 588 hours in 2013, now at 1175.
2004 28TE
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

My wiring diagram clearly shows the stop button. During the survey for my purchase the button was discovered to not work. They ordered a Yanmar factory stop button for my panel and I told them I would replace it and not to worry about it. I replaced it and it still did not stop it. That is when I traced the wiring and found the relay issue.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

So during my intermittent start problem, I replaced the relay, start solenoid, starter, both buttons, and ignition switch (which was the problem). During this 2 month headache, I pulled the factory dash many times. The yammer gauge cluster does have a wired stop button, but even with flipping the buttons out and all the replacements, it has never shut down the engine. With the key on, the starting solenoid is energized, with the key off, the shut down solenoid is not energized. If the key appears to be doing the job of the button, what is the possible consequences of not having a working STOP button? Just wondering, this is my first diesel.
2004 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”