• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transmission fluid?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Transmission fluid?

Post by jcollins »

I have been checking the transmission fluid a few times a year. For the first time, it's low in the reservoir. On the outside it just says "ATF" so I'm assuming automatic transmission fluid. Does anyone have a recommendation for brand/type? Or, just anything from the auto store?

Hurth transmission.

Thanks,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Any name brand "ATF" meeting Dextron III / Mercon
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transmission fluid?

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote:I have been checking the transmission fluid a few times a year.
BTW, Checking - How about Changing?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

No. Haven't changed since I bought the boat. 2006 season. I see no records that the previous owner did either.

How often?
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I've heard/read different feedback on that. Many do it at every other oil change. Not sure how many hours you put on in a season but 150 hours or every other season should be fine. Just keep an eye on the level (which you obviously are) and make sure the fluid is clean. At this point in the season my recommendation would be to do it with your winterization oil change so, like the engine, she sits over the winter with clean fluid. Just get the level right for now and double check that you are not leaking.

The tranny fluid change is easier than the engine oil change but I don't remember if you do this yourself or not?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Average is 90 hrs a year. So, I guess it's time. The fluid is clean and normal looking. I'll top it off until I figure out how to change it myself. Can it be changed out of the water or should I do it before it's hauled?
John
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I change mine every year and I use Amsoil ATF. I have the Velvet Drive 5000.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote:Average is 90 hrs a year. So, I guess it's time. The fluid is clean and normal looking. I'll top it off until I figure out how to change it myself. Can it be changed out of the water or should I do it before it's hauled?
If you change it after you haul the boat you can just drain the fluid into the bilge, take out the transom plug and put a drain pan under the boat to catch the fluid. :lol:

It really does not make a difference. If you do it while in the water then you can sea trial it and make sure the level is good and you have no leaks. If you do it after haul out just be sure to keep an eye on the level when you start off next season.

When you remove the cover off for the filter access the filter simply lifts out and then there is a center hole that is open to the sump of the tranny that you can use to get a suction hose down to the bottom and suck out the fluid. The filter is a metal mesh filter that can be properly cleaned and re-used but for the amount of hours per season we do it’s not worth it. The filter is pricey, approx $45 and comes with a new cover gasket.

Will take approx 4 qts of fluid but depends on the tranny cooler and the angle at which the tranny sits so get 5.

Get a genuine ZF filter which you can get from a local dealer or direct from ZF. Here’s there link. FYI, Hurth and ZF Marine are the same.

http://www.zf-marine.com/
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote:
jcollins wrote:Average is 90 hrs a year. So, I guess it's time. The fluid is clean and normal looking. I'll top it off until I figure out how to change it myself. Can it be changed out of the water or should I do it before it's hauled?
If you change it after you haul the boat you can just drain the fluid into the bilge, take out the transom plug and put a drain pan under the boat to catch the fluid. :lol:

It really does not make a difference. If you do it while in the water then you can sea trial it and make sure the level is good and you have no leaks. If you do it after haul out just be sure to keep an eye on the level when you start off next season.

When you remove the cover off for the filter access the filter simply lifts out and then there is a center hole that is open to the sump of the tranny that you can use to get a suction hose down to the bottom and suck out the fluid. The filter is a metal mesh filter that can be properly cleaned and re-used but for the amount of hours per season we do it’s not worth it. The filter is pricey, approx $45 and comes with a new cover gasket.

Will take approx 4 qts of fluid but depends on the tranny cooler and the angle at which the tranny sits so get 5.

Get a genuine ZF filter which you can get from a local dealer or direct from ZF. Here’s there link. FYI, Hurth and ZF Marine are the same.

http://www.zf-marine.com/
Rob,
Thanks very much for the information. I can do it! It's on the fall list. (no drain plug though)

Thanks again!
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote: Rob,
Thanks very much for the information. I can do it! It's on the fall list. (no drain plug though)

Thanks again!
Anytime - Glad to help. And one other thing - You do not need to run the boat first as ATF is light weight, approx. 10W
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

If you use a hose to suck out the transmission fluid just make sure it is very clean. You do not want to contaminate your ATF with old engine oil. Rather than purchase a new filter each time I kept the old one and cleaned it well in acetone. It has a whole year to dry before doing the swap again.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Another question.
I'm assuming the Hurth transmission is basically the same on most models. That said, I began to pour the ATF in.
There are no markings on the inside of the reservoir. When to stop? 1/3, 1/2, to the top?
Should I post a picture?
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Dipstick? No?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I assume most Hurth transmissions are about the same on Albin models, the dipstick is on one side and the filter is on the other side. Lord knows I have been wrong before but that is how it is on my tranny.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Dipstick.

Filter

Last edited by RobS on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”