• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

what battery should be house

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

On my 28 te with a yanmar 315 there are two batteries a 27 series and a big 4d what one should be the house and what one should be the engine battery at the battery switch there are two labels one says house and the other says engine?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: what battery should be house

Post by RobS »

The 4D is likely the start (engine) battery
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

I do not have a generator and the 4d is the engine battery but when we go away for the weekend and are on a mooring my 27 series goes dead from using the refrigerater ect I would think the 4d should run the house?
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

A group 27 is very small to expect to run a refrigerator for more than a day. You'll need to run the engine a few hours/day or get more deep cycle battery capacity. http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/doc ... imited.pdf
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

saltshaker28 wrote:... I would think the 4d should run the house?
Perhaps the only thing worse than warm beer in the fridge is the "click" of an engine that won't start.

The correct answer for your situation is a better house bank, not using the 4D! As Mike notes, the single group 27 is inadequate for your use.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Doug that is the way Albin built the boat should I change things and if so how?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

saltshaker28 wrote:Doug that is the way Albin built the boat should I change things and if so how?
Well, first would be to look at how your existing batteries are arranged, both electrically and physically.

The most straight forward, depending on room, would be to increase the size of your house battery, and next up would be to add a second battery to the house bank. Sonny III had two Group 31's as it's house bank, and an 8D for engine start. If memory serves she was good for an overnight, and then I'd need to charge. (Plus running the engine heated the water heater for showering!)

And you need to be realistic. If you have a lot of electrical loads and a small to modest house bank you WILL need to charge the bank by running the engine on occasion. You can extend time between charges by being more careful with your power use. Keep that refrigerator full and don't open the door very often. Change your lighting over to LED if you haven't already. Don't run the stereo too much.

Also, as noted above, you want to have the right type of battery. You want a deep cycle for your house battery as this will give you more usable capacity and can withstand being deeply discharged much better that a cranking battery.

One thing to keep in mind is to not mix battery chemistry's. This is to make sure that you don't have charging problems. You almost certainly have lead-acid batteries now, so don't try adding an AGM (for example) unless you change both batteries and your charger settings.

That should get you started!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The fridge has a thermostat so yes it will be most efficient the easier you make it's job. Freeze anything possible before you put it in the fridge. Let the fridge run and maintain it's temperature, shutting it off for periods only causes it to run for an extended period. When you run the boat make sure your battery selector switch is set right to charge what you want charged.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

thanks for the info guys I have to do some research as to where I can fit another battery in my bildge
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

I had the exact same setup when we bought Steel Hers. Since we wanted to cruise, hang on the hook, etc., and didn't have a generator I took a different approach. Here's a link to the post on our Battery Upgrade project:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5951

We now have the battery capacity we need and without a generator. There is a bountiful wealth of information on this site that will guide you in any direction you wish to go. Good Luck!
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Great thanks
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

One more addition -

Original set-up from Albin was: Engine - 4D for starting
House - Group 27

Ken at Standish advised that when on the hook and away from shore power that I should shut down the House at night or else the fridge would drain down the Group 27 by morning. He was right and I decided to upgrade the House Bank.

Upgrade:

House - 2 / 6 volt golf cart batteries providing 340 amp hours. Since the upgrade, I never had issue & my fridge is 12 volt only as well and I stopped turning off the House at night.

The House was also used to run the 1800 Pro-sine inverter from Xantrex for a quick spin of the microwave or a pot of coffee. The 2 golf cart batteries were a major important improvement.

To conserve amp hrs., all lighting was upgraded to LED as well.
Last edited by Pitou on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Suggest you look at whether 340 amp hours is really correct. Last I bought a 12V set of 2 6V golf cart batteries should be about 230 amp hours. And don't forget, for a longer life of your battery you should only use 50% (115 amp hours) before recharging
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Pitou where did you fit the golf cart batterys?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

bccanucker wrote:Suggest you look at whether 340 amp hours is really correct. Last I bought a 12V set of 2 6V golf cart batteries should be about 230 amp hours. And don't forget, for a longer life of your battery you should only use 50% (115 amp hours) before recharging
The 340 Reserve Capacity on the 2 golf cart batteries combined is correct. These were very heavily plated Exide bats that were replacing my first upgraded house battery which was a 4D Rolls Battery that was a 6 cell bolt together at a Reserve Capacity of 344 amps. When I had purchased the Rolls it was $ 600 and a new one was about $ 875. No way I was doing that. Rolls Battery of New England in Salem, MA is where I shop for batteries and they suggested the 2 Exides to achieve almost the same Reserve Capacity for about $ 350. You are correct that you only should use approx. 50%. These were their top of the line and are now on their 4th season. Exide also had lesser golf cart batteries at lower Reserve capacity.
saltshaker28 wrote:Pitou where did you fit the golf cart batterys?
I boxed all of my batteries in Dyna Battery Boxes. Nice sturdy polyethelyne boxes that took up the smallest footprint that I could find. Fisheries Supply carries them.

Here are a couple of pictures. The first is of the boxed Rolls Battery (red box) and the second is of the 2 Exides boxed in Dyna battery box sized for 2 golf carts (white box). My Group 27 was in this location as well.
2Small-2.jpg
IMAG0063 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”