• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mixing Elbow / Exhaust Elbow clarification

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Mixing Elbow / Exhaust Elbow clarification

Post by Paddy »

Hi all, I have been following the threads concerning exhaust elbow failure and have decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new mixing elbow. I believe my 6LP elbow is S/S, manufactured in 6/03, but the local Yanmar dealer said is doesn't matter, the salt / exhaust will eat away at it over time. I'm at 830 hours, so I don't want to push my luck any further. Ordered the elbow, gasket and V-Band, should have it by this weekend. So my question arises from the post below, is there a possibility that the dry elbow can fail also??? I have been focusing on the salt water side, should I spend the extra cash for the dry elbow too or am I wasting money?

Here is a pic:
mixing elbow.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Mixing Elbow / Exhaust Elbow clarification

Post by RobS »

Yes it can, I know several owners where the dry elbow failed. It just fractures and comes apart at the flange. I would change it at same time as wet elbow, just makes sense labor wise.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Got it, will order up the dry elbow as well. Looks like a straight forward r/r.
2004 28TE
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Post by Bidgood »

My elbow broke at the flange to the turbo. Fixed it but had to repaint the bilge from the soot. I would do both.

Tom
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Tom,

Not knowing how many hours you have on your boat, how would you categorize the elbow failure, age or poor design / lack of support? It's a little disheartening for me to hear that I now have to worry about s/s dry parts that can fail as frequently as ones that touch salt water. Just wondering if a custom one piece once is better than replacing the same defective designed part every 5+ years.

Thanks,

Rob
2004 28TE
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Post by Bidgood »

Cheer up, after 9 years even I have parts that fail.....nothing that Advil can't fix. My boat is a 2004/5 30 FC with a Perkins 285 turbo diesel. The flange is in the dry area just aft of the turbo. It is the hottest part of the exhaust system. I had the part removed and a custom flange made and re-welded to the exhaust fitting. It was $1200 for the labor and the part.

Last winter as I was motoring across Tampa Bay in my Albin at sunrise ahead of a storm front, I was thinking what a great place to be with the right boat. Keep it all in perspective. You take care of it and it will take care of you....

Tom
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

None of those parts are s/s. The flaw in the dry elbow setup is that with it turned down as in the 28TE the weight of the wet elbow and exhaust hose all hang unsupported off of it, as opposed to sitting down on it. The stringer is right under the exhaust hose in that spot, it would be easy to add support. The plus side of having it turned down is that if the wet elbow fails water will not flow back into the turbo. If I were replacing only one it would be the dry not the wet, but both is that much more proactive and makes sense labor wise.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”