• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Question about Shore power, and battery switch

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Question about Shore power, and battery switch

Post by Cape Codder »

Here goes...(show's my ignorance)
If I plug into shore power, and turn on my main AC panel, I can charge my batteries with the battery charger.
But, my question is: Does it matter where I position the battery switch?
1, 2, or both, or OFF?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Cape Codder,

Like many things on the Albin's: It depends...

If you have a device such as BlueSea's ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) then the switch position shouldn't matter. This, and other similar devices, route power to the starting and house bateries and are wired seperately from the switch.

See here: http://bluesea.com/category/2

If on the other hand your boat is set up like mine, with no ACR, then only the batteries which are "on" will be charged.

Not a great answer but that's how it goes...
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Bob, my boat is wired the same as Doug's. It will only charge to the battery that is selected on the battery switch. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Hmmm I will have to look at mine today. I have a dual bank Charles charger and thought I was sure it would charge both battery's regardless of the switch position. Therefore at the dock I leave it on (2) (because 1 has the pumps hard wired)... If the shore power goes away and the refrige runs down batt 1, i still have a batt to run the pumps.
I will check and reply....

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

My boat (1998 31TE) has the charger wired directly to the batteries, so the switch positions do not matter. Look at your batteries and see if there is an extra little wire running to them. If so, it's probably the charger.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I probably should have added that my boat has the West Marine combined charger/inverter. So it's wired differently than a boat which has both a charger and separate or no inverter. I can say for certain that my house battery has NO connections other than the big main cables. I'll have to double check my 2 start batteries.

Regardless of how my boat's wired now I have plans to rework the entire battery setup to better isolate the house and starting batteries and to make sure, via an ACR or similar, that my start and pump batteries are always charged first.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
tomcat rio

humble input

Post by tomcat rio »

put a meter across the batttery terminals and check the voltage with the charger on and off. if the battery is being charged, the voltage should be slightly higher than when the charger is off.
do the check under several conditions:

battery switch in all positions.

d c main on and off.

a c c/b on and off.

record the results.
one thing to remember about shore power. sometimes it fails. if your battery switch is not in the off position, any load (like the reefer) will quickly drain the battery and your bilge pumps will not be on line.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our boat is different, but on ours, the dual bank battery charger will charge both batteries, regardless of switch position. It's actually better to have them isolated, so both batteries are actually being charged, rather than simply reading the voltage coming off the other side of the charger.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”