• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Gauge Problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

elad9000

Fuel Gauge Problem

Post by elad9000 »

Recently my 28 TE fuel gauge is pegged at full even though I know I only have about half a tank full. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem? Where is the fuel level sender located?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

You can see the wires going to the sender unit on top of the fuel tank. On my engine box model they can be seen just by lifting the box up. I am not sure if an open circuit reads full or empty but if a wire came off it would be an easy fix. If not you can remove and inspect the sender. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the sending units can post what to look for with a VOM.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

It aint cheap, but it's the most accurate fuel gauge out there:

http://www.thetanktender.com/
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

elad,

What year is your boat? Do you know if you have 3 wires going to the sender? The sender should be located under the deck panel in front of the transom, about mid-beam:

The sender by Centroid is a 3 wire electronic sender, not a standard float type sender. I’ll assume this is what you have. This sender is simply a probe consisting of a small aluminum tube inside a larger aluminum tube and small insulators separate the two tubes. There are no moving parts. The capacitance changes as the fuel level rises and this reading is converted to a signal readable by the fuel gauge. When I bought TOY_RIFIC last year the gauge was not accurate enough for my liking. I had topped off the tank and it read just better than ¾ so over the winter I replaced the sender. I could have re-calibrated it but since it was 7 years old and I had the deck off I chose to replace it and calibrate it myself. It’s now amazingly accurate.

The 3 wires to the sender are POS, NEG & SEND which are self-explanatory.

If the fuel gauge is pegged full when powered up it could be:
1. Water in the fuel tank
2. Send wire is touching NEG terminal or wiring
3. Center tube in sender is touching outside tube

Hope this helps.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.