• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Glow Plug Timer

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Glow Plug Timer

Post by Denis »

For all of you out there that have the Peninsular engine, here is just a point of interest. I installed the modified glow plug timer this spring. This kit contains a new solinoid, a new adjustable timer board and a switch. I bought it from Peninsular for about $75 to correct the problem of hard starting when the engine is hot. It took about an hour to install and it works perfectly. If you have any questions, let me know. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by Mike »

We had a conversation about starting at the Chesapeake Rendevous. Seems that all of our engines start differently with the Penisulars (me) taking a little bit of cranking at first and the Yanmars starting right up. Does this kit help with a cold start on your engine?
Time Out Annapolis
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

My Peninsular starts right up and always has. This kit just helps with the hot start condition.
If I can help you to trouble shoot your problem. Disconnect the wire to the glow plug, put the lamp between the wire you disconnected and the glow plug terminal. Turn on the ignition and make sure the lamp lights. If the lamp lights the glow plug is good, if it doesn't light the glow plug is bad. It soundslike you have one or more glow plugs that may be bad. Test the glow plugs one at a time this way. Also make sure that when you turn on the ignition, that it turns on your glow plugs for about ten seconds then as soon as your glow plug lamp on the dash goes out that you crank the starter then. The glow plugs use a lot of power, so if you try to crank it while they are still on you will have less voltage available for the starter. That is where I would start for a hard starting engine. Also contact Peninsular on the phone and ask for tech support, they are very helpful, you can get their number on the web. Let me know how you make out. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Denis,
Being the generally lazy man that I am, just how difficult is the kit installation?
When you say use a lamp, can I use a voltmeter? The cranking problem Mike mentions is the same problem I have. I noticed that when the Cummins (very quiet) or the Yanmar (quiet) start it seems to be less than a second or two.
Mine is up to 6 or 7 seconds.
Another good thing about this past weekend is that I found out just how LOUD my engine is. At least when new members post about how loud the Peninsular is I can reply with more than "since I've never been on another Albin I can't compare", which is my usual reply. :)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

John, yes you can use a volt meter in place of a test lamp, just the lamp is more visual, but other than that it's the same. My engine starts in about two seconds, every time.
The kit is easy to install. I did it in about an hour. The new solenoid replaces the existing one. Use one of the bolt holes and then drill a new one for the second hole. The new timer circuit mounted under the dash with one wood screw. I took out one of the switches on the dash that was unused and put in the new switch supplied in the kit. I followed the wiring diagram that came with the kit, to and from the switch, then one wire down to the new relay and add a ground wire from the block to the relay. That was it, you can adjust the timing of the glow plug using the dial on the new timer board. I set it to ten seconds to start a cold engine. When the engine is hot, push the new toggle switch the opposite way and hold it down for about ten seconds then start the engine. I hope that helps. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Bill Dockery
Swabby
Swabby

hard start when engine is hot

Post by Bill Dockery »

I went thru this hard start when hot but I purchased 4 glow plug controllers at $100 a pop and they all did the same thing after a while. What I did is mounted a push button switch similar to an old fashioned push button starter switch of years past. Then run 10 ga wire to switch and strapped leads from the 12 volt side of controller to one side of switch and then from other side of switch to the glow plug lead, look at the glow plug controller schematic. Then when the hard start occurs just mash the starter switch for about 8 sec this heats up glow plugs. I also bought thr peninsular fix timer material it is still in box. When i ordered the fix I told the parts persion what I did and he informed me that the fix did the same thing.
billdoc

Return to “Albin Maintenance”