• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lift for a 28

Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Lift for a 28

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

I have a number of questions to ask the members about building a lift for the Ablin 28. Hopefully, you guys can provide some insight.

Best regards,
Chuckatuck Ray
Halcyon2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North, Va

Re: New Member

Post by Halcyon2 »

Chuckatuck Ray: I'm just north of you in Mathews County and I have a 2005 Albin 28 TE on a lift. It had to be custom made but works great. You are welcome to come by and take a look and take any measurements. The key is to get eight (8) "lifters" at the correct height so the bottom rests on the front and back cross beams (with some board cushions). You can call me at 804-363-2010 or PM me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ron and Debbie Lambert
Halcyon 2
North, VA
JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PORT ST LUCIE FLORIDA

Re: New Member

Post by JIMBO44 »

this from Jimbo44: same boat, same solution, home dock and lift in Port Saint Lucie, Florida. It is not at all difficult. I also got some help with engineering drawings from the site to double check. I also pay attention to the sling markings on each side to establish center of gravity for positioning in the lift when docking and mark the approximate COG on both sides of boat.
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: Lift for a 28

Post by kowal_53 »

I has one installed a few years ago. I bought a used Hi-Tide lift and had it installed by the local Hi-Tide installer. Mine was a larger unit 24,000 lbs, so it will take something larger if I need it too. Besides the larger one was less than the new one.

The installer had to order a bed for from Hi-0Tide, nothing to special, I believe that part was about $300. (Looks like 2 large board with padding) After that is was the basic unit.

I could provide more information if you end up with a Hi-Tide, just let me know.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
ALBIN
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SC

Post by ALBIN »

Here is some info on my boat lift setup for a engine box Albin 28TE
deco 16000 # lift

27" inside bunks 9" high bunks uprights at 10' wide

Just pull forward till sling plate/marker on boat is even with rear upright/crossbeam.

Has a wooden board mounted on the rear crossbeam as a "bumper" for the skeg keel.

Black tape on starboard rear upright is a visual aid to know when lift is low enough to enable boat to get on or when lowering it when it is going to float.

Make sure your through hulls, depth sounder are well clear of bunks so it took me multiple adjustments of the bunks width before I actually raised the boat for the first time.

Would recommend going with taller bunks then would have been easier to set up originally.

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

I like the setup that you have. My Albin 28TE has a Cummins 6BTA5.9, 330 hp diesel engine. Do you know the approx. dry weight of my boat would be with engine and transmission included? I am looking at a 12,000 lb lift considering a full tank of diesel fuel, water and misc. supplies. With the two bunks at the lower inside area of the hull do you have any problem with the boat wanting to tip on it's side? Do you drive on on pull it onto the lift?
Thanks for the photos. She looks great.
Ray
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

If you are in a wave area, I would heavy the lift up a bit, say 15,000. I expect your boat is just shy of 10,000 lbs loaded, and with a few guests.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”