• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Deck hatch replacement or repair??

Parker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Deck hatch replacement or repair??

Post by Parker »

Has anyone ever tried to replace or repair a deck hatch? Not sure if Albin manufactured themselves or used a subcontractor.

Thought I saw some discussion on this a few years ago but can't seem to find.

Thanks
1994 28 TE
Peninsular 300 TD Beast
soft top
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Deck hatch replacement or repair??

Post by DougSea »

Parker wrote:Has anyone ever tried to replace or repair a deck hatch? Not sure if Albin manufactured themselves or used a subcontractor.

Thought I saw some discussion on this a few years ago but can't seem to find.

Thanks
When I was trading in Sonny III the condition of the in deck hatches was making me paranoid that the broker wouldn't take her. The starboard hatch was so bad I didn't think repair was possible so I made a pair of hatches out of plywood. I used a nice 1/2 birch plywood for the upper layer and a piece of "regular" 3/8" for the bottom, for a total of 1 1/8" of thickness. I used West System epoxy to glue the two pieces together, along with screws. Once they dried I test fit them, sanded down the corners, then coated them with 3 coats of West System with the 207 "Special Hardner", which brushes on more easily.

Because I didn't want ANY water to intrude I then drilled out the hole when the pull handle went with a 3/4" hole, filled it with yet more West System (with filler) and then drilled the 1/4" hole for the pull.

Same basic idea with the bolts for the hinges.

When that was all set I painted them with grey Interlux paint with non-skid beads added. I was VERY happy with the end result, and mad that I hadn't done it sooner!

When they were all in place I thought they looked great!

Because of the epoxy and the filling of the holes they really should last forever, there is no place where water should be able to get in and it didn't take a lot more effort to make them this way.

If you have any questions let me know, I'll look tomorrow to see if I have any pictures.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Parker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Deck hatch replacement or repair??

Post by Parker »

I appreciate the info. FYI - found out that Albin used to make the hatches themselves. Either a winter project or I'll find a local fiberglass shop.
1994 28 TE
Peninsular 300 TD Beast
soft top

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”