• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Gen set location on 31te

RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gen set location on 31te

Post by RockHall »

We have a 2004 31 te with the single Cummins 450. Recent 100 degree days have me thinking more about adding a generator. I have read on this board and others that the Northern Lights is a good brand and would like to have a sound enclosure to keep noise down. I had thought that there would be room under the deck in the rear on the port side but it looks pretty tight there. It seems the ideal place would be in the engine compartment on the starboard side. There is plenty of room and with the batteries on the other side it would seem to balance well. Problem there is getting it into the space.

Where did the factory install the generators on 31te's with a single engine? Has anyone done an aftermarket install and where did it go?

Thanks for your help!
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD
RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gen set location on 31te

Post by RockHall »

One more thing. Will a 5kw be adequate to power air conditioner, battery charger, both refrigerators, tv, VCR, microwave, coffee maker, etc. I am sure I won't run all at once but will 5 kw be enough that I don't have to turn off the ac to turn something else on?
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Rockhall,

I took some pictures of Ann & Dave's Hideaweigh, will post them tonight or tomorrow when I get back from the NE Rendezvous. (Which was awesome!)

The quick answer to location is under the port, aft deck hatch. And 5kw should run all that, assuming you have a single AC unit. Looking quickly at Dave's Northern Lights I'd day my new Kohler 6EOD unit is smaller, you might want to check them out as well.

More later.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Rockhall,

Tried to post this last night but we apparently had a server disk issue that was preventing photos from being loaded! John swooped in and fixed us so let's try again!

So - these are pictures I took on Hideaweigh after I saw your note. She's a 31TE with a single. Not sure if the gen set install is factory or after - the generator was there when Dave and Ann bought her.

Here's a view from aft, through the transom door. The unit sits between here and the center, rear deck hatch. You can just make out the battery switch, the generator battery sits outboard and aft if I recall correctly.
01-FromPortAft.JPG
View from forward.
02-FromPortFwd.JPG
From the center hatch
03-FromCenter.JPG
The platform it sits on
04-Platform.JPG
The manual (showing model number)
05-Manual.JPG
And the control pannel mounted on the side of the helm.
06-Controls.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RockHall »

Thanks Doug! The pictures are a big help.
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”