• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Custom Teak Furnishings

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

dgurgel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Amboy (Raritan Bay), NJ

Custom Teak Furnishings

Post by dgurgel »

I want a custom teak chart table wih lid and storage rack for my TE. I want it to have divided storage under a lockable lid (for charts, first aid kit, and ditch bag) a rack for a book or two, navigation instruments (dividers, parallel rule, pencils) binoculars, handheld VHF, laptop PC mount, and 12V and 120 V outlets. I have designed many custom office and kitchen cabinets, so I am going to prepare drawings and then have a local cabinet maker make it up in marine-grade teak with stainless hardware. I will study some of the online custom marine furniture sites for ideas.

Does anyone have a chart table now that they particularly like? If anyone has photos of a nice installation, I would appreciate a look. I saw a nice one on one of the Ablins that I inspected but did not take photos. Any suggestions on features also would be appreciated.

I will post again when I have a design and a quoted price. If I can place an order for two or three, the cost per unit will be much less. One-off I think would be about $1,600 when made from solid teak.

Someone else recently posted on teak/holly sole. If anyone is moving ahead on that I would be interested in perhaps ordering materials for myself. Two boats that I considered had this feature, and it added a lot to the cabin appearance. Here I would expect a laminate (plastic), since even engineered (layered) hardwoods are problems in what could be a wet environment with sink and shower nearby and a less than perfectly dry bilge under. The laminate would be very inexpensive, and the cutting no problem once there is a good template available. How does Albin fasten this? With glue?
Last edited by dgurgel on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Gurgel
2000 Albin 28 TE, "Energetic"
Hull #453
dgurgel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Custom Teak Furnishings

Post by dgurgel »

I see NauticalLumber.com sells teak and holly sole materials. They have precut items for Boston Whalers. I have asked them for a quote on five precut Albin 28 soles. If they do not have a file on the Ablin 28, this will take a week or two.
Dave Gurgel
Hull #453
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

will post again when I have a design and a quoted price. If I can place an order for two or three, the cost per unit will be much less. One-off I think would be about $1,600 when made from solid teak.
Dave,
Keep me in the loop with this idea. Sounds good.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Re: Custom Teak Furnishings -Navigation station box

Post by OldDemps »

I've been collecting some photos of Nav station boxes because I was hoping to build one also. So here are a few shots for you. I like the box with the drink holders on the back. Personally would love to have something about 6 to 8 inches tall that would still hold a child weight to sit on and makes the table level when closed rather then stock slight aft slope. $1600 however is way out of my budget for that enhancement, let me know what you come up with. THANKS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
dgurgel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dgurgel »

Take a look at this site with "fake" teak. It looks good does it not? It is flexible too, so laying it as an Albin 28 cabin sole would be easy. Nearly all the work shown on the site is marine decking and marine furniture.

Real teak of course is fabulous but what do you do when it weathers and turns grey? Sand it and refinish I guess.

http://nuteak.com/Frames_Pages/NuTeakInterior.htm

Now what is the best way to make an accurate pattern? Have an experienced carpet layer lay some cheap stuff and use it for a pattern? Cut a pattern myself using carpet padding? Just pull up the old Albin carpeting and use it as a template? I don't have access to my boat for a few days, so any comments would be appreciated.

I hope to have a budget number on this by Friday from NuTeak.
Dave Gurgel
Hull #453
dgurgel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Custom Teak Furnishings -Navigation station box

Post by dgurgel »

OldDemps wrote:I've been collecting some photos of Nav station boxes because I was hoping to build one also. So here are a few shots for you. I like the box with the drink holders on the back. Personally would love to have something about 6 to 8 inches tall that would still hold a child weight to sit on and makes the table level when closed rather then stock slight aft slope. $1600 however is way out of my budget for that enhancement, let me know what you come up with. THANKS.
OldDemps,

You photos are very helpful. Although I was planning on teak, I also liked the FRP one in the photo. It was quite simple, but there was attention to detail including a nice seal. Do you know where that one was made? Perhaps it was a Formica laminate over plywood. Do you know the construction?
Dave Gurgel
Hull #453
dgurgel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dgurgel »

Nuteak boss (Dennis) said materials plus shipping for Teak & Holly Nuteak glued on 3/8" marine plywood (probably three pieces) would cost about $600 per boat. Buyer would install with glue.

If the Albin floor is smooth and regular, material could be applied directly with glue with precut material plus shipping about $300.

I plan to place an order as soon as I can cut a template. Factory is sending me a sample. I want it to look as good as an Albin factory job.

It would be very helpful if any reader that has an Albin teak and holly sole now and is willing to take a close look and provide some photos would contact me.
Dave Gurgel
Hull #453
jillsusan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jillsusan »

Hi-- easily done--just need guy who can do woodwork
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

dgurgel wrote:Take a look at this site with "fake" teak. It looks good does it not? It is flexible too, so laying it as an Albin 28 cabin sole would be easy. Nearly all the work shown on the site is marine decking and marine furniture.

Real teak of course is fabulous but what do you do when it weathers and turns grey? Sand it and refinish I guess.

http://nuteak.com/Frames_Pages/NuTeakInterior.htm

Now what is the best way to make an accurate pattern? Have an experienced carpet layer lay some cheap stuff and use it for a pattern? Cut a pattern myself using carpet padding? Just pull up the old Albin carpeting and use it as a template? I don't have access to my boat for a few days, so any comments would be appreciated.

I hope to have a budget number on this by Friday from NuTeak.
My wife and I use newspapers to make a pattern/template. Lay pages on top of each other and tape together. Simply fold/cut into corners and tape it. Paper is sooo easy to work with. We did a carpet in our salon area this spring and also put carpet on our dash area. Make the pattern, place onto the carpet or whatever you want to make, trace it out, and cut it with either a box cutter or sharp scissors. We cut outside the lines a bit and trim where necessary. It's the simplest way that we've (my wife!) have come up with, without having a pro come and do it for us. We actually made the pattern and brought it home and did all the cutting here at home.
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Here are a couple photos I found two years ago. This is not on our boat. While the finish might not be to your standard, and the size might be too large, there are some good design features. This one fits the old (out of production) Weems and Plath chart table.

ChartTable1.jpg[/attachment]
ChartTable2.jpg[/attachment]
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
jillsusan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jillsusan »

Hi-- I think it may be slightly oversized! But i do notice one thing-- top pic - top left corner-- is that Jesus up there?
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Excellent call, but when I enlarge my copy it could be either Jesus or just The Old Sailor, I can't tell because the pixels interfere. Again, not our boat.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “General Discussion”