• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

MD3B water temp sensor, A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

MD3B water temp sensor, A25

Post by WillieC »

The installed sensor is way out of whack. The original VDO sensor, that came from my spare engine, has 18mm thread. Installed sensor is an Isspro that somebody apparently found in a garage sale and thought, what the heck, lets just drill and tap the the exhaust manifold and stick this baby in there. Now I have 1/4" NPT thread. I see the VDO sensor is available with the 1/4" thread, but do I really have to order from the UK? PN is 323-801-001-009N. The installed water temp gauge has no readily visible brand name, but I tested it with some resistors I have laying around and it corresponds to the resistance readings I charted by heating up the good VDO sensor. Or do I start over with a new gauge and matching sensor? Any suggestions as to decent replacement gauge?
Thanks.
IMG_0290.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: MD3B water temp sensor, A25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

At least you didn't follow that other guy's advice & try to restrict raw water flow. Murphys Law in full effect.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Tried the local yokels..."make, model, and year please" Seriously? I swear there is stuff on my boat that was mined from raw earth and fashioned into reasonable facsimiles. "I just need a sensor with 1/4" NPT threads for a 100-240F gauge with a curve similar to this." I showed him the results of my stove top testing and all I got was, "Make, model and year, please."
Then I got the brilliant idea of testing the installed sensor on my Origo stove in the boat while hooked up to the gauge. Just to see how far off it is. MacGyver's got nothing on me. How many jumpers can you string together? Of course i took all those voltage drops into account and came up with my gauge as installed is about 50F low! Which is actually about right with the 75C stat I tested earlier. At 130F indicated we are closer to 180F, a bit over 80C which is right where the Handbook says we should be. Which is where she runs until she starts losing coolant. Which is what I am trying to nail down now. At 150 indicated, I know something is amiss, then I find a cup of coolant in the engine pan. How hard is that to find? Hard enough. There are a few issues, especially with the installation of the HX. James Bond must have designed the mounting for this sucker. "Q! When I say 'shaken, not stirred' I mean it!" The MD3B has, shall we say, Balance Issues and shakes the shinola out of the HX which is mounted on 1/4" X2" flat stock that incorporates HEAD BOLTS! for mounting..kill me now. I don't worry about propeller cavitation, I worry about nuclear fission in my HX.
Enough, already. I am going to get a new gauge and matching sender mainly because I can use the replaced parts when I bench test the spare 17C in the shop this winter. And the installed gauge is difficult to read especially considering the parallax built into the Custom Deluxe Super Duper A25 dashboard. Thinking about a heads up display... enjoy the pix. I had fun.
IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Here are my sensor test results:
Left column is actual temp in pan.
Middle number is VDO sensor ohms.
Right column is Isspro sensor ohms. " is supposed to be infinity or open.
110F 270 "
115 240 "
120 216 "
130 180 "
140 150 "
150 121 "
160 101 "
170 83 "
180 68 405
190 58 390
200 46 365
212 43 340

Grounding the lead to the sensor will peg your gauge (Max). Careful!
I had some resistors laying around I used to test the gauge. The VDO sensor would have worked but the threads do not match.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”